Chapter 3

"That was the first time I had learned her name. I didn't know she could have a name at first actually. I thought that she was just mimicking letters that she had seen on boats to try and make me not be so terrified of her." She took a sip of her ale, taking a bite of the piece of toast that Mr. Gulliver had fixed for her. Oisin had a coffee, still listening to the story.

"She has a name?" Mr. Gulliver slid a warm fish pie to Mihris, handing her a spoon with it.

"Orliantha. Somehow, she's learned how to write." She ate the hot food happily, glad to feel warm again after her walk in the snow. The bay kept freezing over, and she had gone with the others and broken up the ice, catching a hefty sum of fish while out and selling them in the market. She kept a few for Orliantha of course, hanging them up behind her cabin in a net so the birds wouldn't get them. She had kept the other scale that Orliantha had dropped in her hurry, taking some wire, and stringing it into a necklace, although it was unfinished.

"She left so quickly though. I tapped the water a few times but got no response."

"They call to each other when they come to the surface. She probably heard another nearby or even a group." Mihris sighed, her hand in the scale she kept in her pocket. It brought her comfort for some reason, and she couldn't understand why. It was strange, the way that Orliantha had held her. It was a comforting touch, despite how dangerous she was. She seemed to like her for more than just her habit of throwing food out to her. She remembered hurling outside of the pub into the snow as soon as she got back, and Mr. Gulliver fixed her some concoction to help her with her stomach.

"She probably sees sharing food with you as a way of bonding."

"She seemed pretty content that I took a bite out of that." She shivered as she remembered the taste.

"You're lucky she didn't regurgitate it into your hand. Sometimes they share food like that to their young."

"I'm trying to eat."

"Sorry."

"I wish I could study her more. She doesn't like it when I touch her tail."

"That's an instinct also. Body language is a large thing with them. If you aren't careful, they can take it as wanting to fight."

"It didn't seem like that's what she thought when I touched her."

"Well, what exactly did you do?"

"I was feeling her spine. It's quite interesting, it extends down through her tail like she has an extra set of ribs in her tail to help her with stability, all while being able to be fast and make sharp turns while swimming."

He stopped and thought for a few moments.

"You said that she embraced you and shared her food with you too?"

"Yes."

"She probably thought you were trying to mate with her." She nearly choked on her food.

"I told you to be careful with her."

"I didn't know that's what she thought I meant! How was I supposed to know that?" She continued eating as she rolled her eyes, finishing her meal and drink. She desperately wanted to go out and search for Orliantha but stayed at home for the day, doing some patchwork on her trousers and coats. She had taught some of the other sailors how to stitch after they had started coming to her for clothing repairs after rough days out on the sea and bay. She laid in her bed as she did, occasionally waxing her thread to prevent any unwanted knots. She worked until the sun went down, going to the pub and having dinner. She had no stove in her house and refused to cook over the small fireplace. She had some ale, along with colcannon potatoes and corned beef.