23: lover's quarrel

Start from the beginning

"Dude," Josh grabbed his best friend, keeping him from going over to them. "Let her come to you."

"Is that what you did?"

Josh hesitated before nodding. "I tried going after her but I freaked her out, that's why we're here as friends."

Tristan looked up at his best friend with pure confusion in his eyes. "Friends? You and Cassie? Dude," He laughed.

"I know, I know. I'll figure it out," Josh patted Tristan's arm. "Don't do anything idiotic," Josh told him before walking off to find Cassie.

He looked around, spotting her standing with Sophie and her date. Josh walked behind Cassie, putting his arms around her waist. He smiled when she leaned into him, something a friend wouldn't necessarily do. "Wanna dance?" He whispered to her, right as a slow song began playing.

"Okay," Cassie nodded.

Josh pulled his hands away from her, taking her hand instead as he led her to the dance floor. Cassie looked around, finding Rory and Dean walking onto the dance floor as well, causing a smile to appear on her face.

The two of them stopped walking, finding a good spot on the dance floor. Josh put his hands around Cassie's waist while her hands went around his neck. The two of them swayed slowly, smiling at how awkward it suddenly got.

"So this friends thing," Josh said, making Cassie hum, waiting for him to continue. "How long is it gonna last?"

"What do you mean?" Cassie asked him.

"I mean, I want to be more than friends with you, Cassidy Hayden Gilmore," He told her.

"Wow, you legal named me," Cassie laughed when she saw the smirk on his face. Cassie honestly couldn't tell if Josh said that as a joke or if he was being completely serious. She wanted to make sure before she admitted that she wanted that too.

"That's how serious I'm being," Josh replied and Cassie's laughter stopped. They looked right into each other's eyes and Cassie felt the butterflies in her stomach and her heart beating faster and faster. "Can I try something?" Josh asked her.

"Okay?" Cassie answered in an unsure manner.

Josh leaned his head down slightly, his face now level with hers. Cassie sucked in a breath, knowing what might happen in the next couple of seconds. Josh moved slowly, not wanting to freak her out again.

"This okay?" He whispered so only she could hear him.

"More than okay," Cassie whispered back.

Josh smiled before fully leaning in, his lips finally pressing against hers. He's wanted to do this since the first day they studied in Stars Hollow, and she didn't even know how much she wanted it until it happened. The first kiss only lasted about two seconds before Josh pulled away to make sure that Cassie wasn't freaking out.

Cassie smiled at him, pulling him in again. This time the kiss was longer, and the two of them moved in sync. From afar both Sophie and Rory were smiling at the new couple, both of them thinking, finally.

They pulled away at the same time, now dancing along to the slow song that was about to come to an end.

"You do that with all your friends?" Cassie asked him.

"Only the ones I really really like," Josh answered, making the Gilmore Girl smile as they continued dancing.

--☆--☆--☆--☆--☆--

The rest of the dance was perfect. The Gilmore twins danced with their dates and talked with their friends, aka each other. Josh and Dean, however, still haven't connected. Which probably had something to do with the fact that Josh was Tristan's best friend and Tristan liked Rory.