The sickness

The summer after meeting Pete was filled with romantic dinner dates, long days at the pool, and endless nights bunging our favorite Netflix shows and snuggling. The happiness was endless, and it only got better. Pete and I grew closer, and when school started up again we decided to make our relationship official.

I was actually excited to go back to school this year, excited to steal smooches in the halls and have someone to study with me.

On the first day of school, I felt like I stuck out in a of a sea of kids. Me, with a boyfriend, and even a few of his friends had started to talk to me. After a long day, i felt relaxed as we walked from my locker out to his shiny silver Mercedes.

Sitting in the car, I was surprised with a little kiss on the cheek. "How was your day beautiful?" he asked.

"It was great, but I'm pretty sure i didn't do well on that history test. I'll have to study way more next time, I was lost. What about yourself?" I explained.

He chuckled and replied, "That test was honestly so hard. I'm sure you did better than me, but we can definitely study some more tomorrow."

"We have to." I agreed sternly.

"You up for some food? I'm starving."

"Always." I answered happily as he peeled out of the lot, beating the after school traffic.

As we pulled up to our favorite food spot, I felt the beginnings of a nausea that had been following me for a few weeks now. As we walked in and sat at our usual spot of only seemed to worsen.

"I'm going to go wash my hands before we eat, I'll be right back." He gave me a kiss on the and vanished.

I began to scan the room, even though I'd seen it a thousand times, I distract myself from the horrible feeling rising in my stomach.

In the corner, not far from our table, I saw a man staring directly at me. The more I looked at him the more uneasy I felt about the stranger.  Dressed head to toe in black, carrying a strictly business heavy look on his face. A waiter walked by passed him with a flaming dessert, and in the In the light of the flames I swear his eyes gleamed bright red. Almost glowing.

It was such an intoxicatingly evil trick of the eye that when Pete sat down I almost screamed, caught off guard from the trace that man put me in.

Pete causally picked up a menu. "Are you ok?" He laughed.

I flipped my eyes back to the man, who had disappeared.

"Yeah, no you just surprised me." I answered.

What dessert are you feeling today?" he asked, oblivious to my nervousness.

"Maybe cake." I mumbled.

I slowly picked at my slice of cake, while Pete scarfed down all of his.

"I'll be right back." I mumbled, feeling like I could barely make my way to the bathroom.

I couldn't make it to the stall, I managed to lean into the trash can as vomit poured out of my mouth.

I felt like I was slowly suffocating, getting only heavy quick breathes before I was back to throwing up.

I felt like I was standing over this thrash can for ages, but when I felt like I didn't have anything left in my stomach I went to the sink and rinsed my mouth.

I cupped the cold water in my hand and held it against my face.

When I opened my eyes again, I looked in the mirror, not recognizing the bright green orbs that replaced my brown eyes.

I leaned in closely to examine them, blinking as it got harder to keep them open.

But after I blinked and rubbed them, they were back to brown.

"I am losing my fucking mind." I said to my reflection.

Everything ached, every bone in my bone felt close to snapping as I slowly walked back to our table.

Money was already on the check, Pete was dating down at his phone absentmindedly.

"Are you ok? You were in there awhile."

"This bug has been killing me." I replied.

"Do you wanna go home?" he asked, as we walked out to the car.

"Yea, I feel like shit." I replied. I stayed quiet the rest of the long ride home, trying to hold in the vomit that I felt building up again.

By the time he had dropped me off my stomach was turning in circles violently.

"See you tomorrow, hope you feel better." He said as I got out and started walking to the porch.

I waved as he drove off.

I didn't even have enough time to make it inside before I spilled my guts all over the porch, I crumbled to the steps not able to breathe.

I was covered in a red substance that looked like blood. I managed to ring the doorbell a few times to alert my mom, before blacking out entirely.

I woke up much later later in the day, judging by the black outside of my window.

I felt like I was burning from the inside out.

I slowly made my way over to the widow and used a deal of my strength to pull it open slightly.sitting down by it seemed to relax me somewhat, as I closed my eyes and let the brisk fall wind hit my face.

Feeling better, I decided to hit the shower. I gingerly went into the bathroom and lit a few candles to avoid the harshness of the overhead light. I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and stopped to look closer again. My skin was a sickly snowy white, so much that all my veins were visible. And my eyes, jesus, my eyes were not the beautiful melted chocolate ones I had my whole life, they were bright green. I scrunched my confused face and rubbed them. When I opened them again, the bright green persisted. I reached out in the mirror and touched them. But my nails were sharpened to a point, and made a click noise when I touched the mirror.

I began to take in huge gulps of air, realizing that this was no trick. My eyes felt full, like I was about to cry. But when the tears streamed down my face it was blood, trailing down like red rivers and dripping onto the countertop. My eyes burned like hot coils in a fire, and after touching the bloodily mess on my face I screamed for my mom.

She rushed in, immediately caressing my head.

"My eyes!" I cried loudly.

There was a long pause, where she just kept brushing hair out of my face. "Can you open them?" She asked me.

"They hurt!" I screamed.

My mom sunk to the ground with me, pulling me into her lap. She held my face up.

"Just for a second," She cooed.

It took me a full minute to get enough courage to attempt opening and another minute to open them fully.

The look on my moms face wasn't panic, like I expected. Instead, she grinned and held me closer.

She put a hand to my forehead. "Let it happen." She said quietly. I felt her reach up and run the water, pulling a cold rag over my face.

I leaned away, throwing up again.

"What's wrong with me," I gasped, holding my head so that it didn't explode from the pressure building.

"You're becoming your true self." She whispered into my ear.