20| Moonlight Swim

"There's my girl," Natalie cooed at DeeDee

"There's my girl," Natalie cooed at DeeDee. "Oh, I missed you so much."

She opened the cage and the white fur ball stepped out gracefully, wiggling her tail slowly at her beloved owner. She stretched her limbs, using those curved claws to scratch at the cream-colored wool mat.

Natale stroked DeeDee, receiving a delightful purr from the old furry creature in return.

"Jesse." Natalie twirled her wheelchair to face her son. "Would you be a dear and put her on my lap."

"Ah." Jesse hesitated for a second, remembering the last time he tried to touch DeeDee. "I don't think she likes me, Mom."

"Nonsense, boy. She loves you!"

Jesse let out a shaky sigh.

This grumpy old cat had been unpredictable lately. Jesse didn't want to add more injuries to his still-recovering body. The cut on his arm from the accident—though slowly healing—was still tender, and the injury to his nose hurt like hell whenever he touched it. He brushed his cheek, feeling that painful scratch he got from T-Bone was a scary reminder of how weak he was. 

"OK." Jesse gave a little shrug from his slim shoulder. "I'll try."

He remembered the last time DeeDee scratched him. Her claws went too deep in his skin that it made his hand swell and bleed for days.

"Here kitty kitty." Jesse gulped as he leaned forward, acting against that alarming voice in his head telling him to back away, all for his beloved mom. "Nice kitty."

Surprisingly, DeeDee stayed still, allowing her younger owner to stroke her before he carried her.

"See?" Natalie smiled.

"But she acted like I was her worst enemy the last time I saw her."

"Well." Natalie extended her arms to take DeeDee. "You know her. She's been a little moody since she turned 14." She touched DeeDee's pink nose and talked straight at her. "Here's to 14 more years, my little snowball."

A smile tugged at Jesse's lips for a split second. Despite being glad to see his mom content and happy, his brows drew together when he saw the bandage on her forehead. He gritted his teeth. Every man's job was to protect his family, but all Jesse could do was put his mom in danger.

She could have lost another limb because of my stupid driving. He looked down at his mother's none existing legs. Or worse. A low gasp escaped his lips. She could have died.

Suddenly, all his anger got replaced by a sickening feeling that left a bitter taste in his mouth. Jesse felt a shiver running down his spine. He lifted his arms near his chest, hugging himself, trying to stop his body from shaking.

Jesse was withering in front of his own mother.

His eyes itched with the urge to spill all his worries in a waterfall of tears. Tears of guilt. Tears of anger. Tears of fear. They pricked his eyes, threatening to drop past his dense lashes. He sniffled and blinked to force them to disappear.