The Game of Death: Chapter 2

Chapter 2. Enjoy!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was up all night thinking about what Andrew meant, and what I had to fear at a simple party like Caitlin's. I tried to go to sleep, but I continued to toss and turn. In the back of my mind, I still feared another burglary. Curiosity got the best of me, so I sneaked out of my room, closing the door quietly. I stopped to make sure my mom and sister were sleeping. Silence.

Of course, with an old house there has to be creaky stairs. I tiptoed as silently as I could, hoping I wouldn't wake up my family members. I guessed they were in a dead sleep because I didn't even hear movement in either room.

When I got downstairs, I checked all the windows and made sure they were closed, and then I reviewed the doors' locks to make sure they were activated. I walked back to the kitchen, letting my eyes adjust more to the darkness. Finally the blue light from the window shined brightly enough on the dining table. Under curiosity, I decided to reread the message I saw this morning. It had the same thing, but I concentrated on it more. Below it, there was a new word: GOOD. Nearly choking, I backed a way. When was this written? Tonight?

I suddenly had the scary feeling as if someone was in the house. If I didn't catch this in the morning or after school, when was it written? When I came home, both doors were locked and all the windows were closed... Just like now. What the heck was going on? "Hello?" I whispered quietly enough. "Is anyone here?" There was no sound except the clinking of water from the faucet. "Damn it, Mom. At least try to remember to turn this thing off." As I turned the water off, I swore I heard a mocking laugh in the distance. Logical answer, I thought. Teenagers late at night were obviously getting themselves drunk down the street.

Sighing, I leaned against the counter, telling myself over and over again there was no burglar in the house. I wish I had never woke up to that mess in the morning, otherwise I wouldn't be paranoid. Well, it was better safe than sorry.

I decided to sleep on the couch in the living room so I would be aware of any new break in. When I finally fell asleep, I had no dream. All I heard was my name, over and over again, pointlessly. My imagination always got the best of me, though.

"Jade! I'm going to kill you!" I heard a loud voice in the living room that bolted me awake. I realized it was my sister charging at me with full force.

"What is your problem?" I demanded, standing up quickly. "Jesus Christ, settle down!"

"You stole my necklace!" Necklace? I never recalled taking any necklace of hers. I never ventured into her Barbie-doll-infested room.

"No I didn't! I haven't been in your room for ages!" I screamed back at her, now irritated for being accused of a false act.

"Then who took it?" Melony glared at me, her hands held firmly at her hips. I thought for awhile, and decided of a quick idea to scare her. Yes, I loved scaring my sister. And it would get her back for accusing me of a little thing.

"A ghost did," I said, grinning. "You're being haunted, Melony! The ghosts are going to kill you!" She began crying and calling for my Mom while I laughed at her reaction. When she went tattle-telling on me, I tried to act like I didn't do anything, but Mom was always smart enough to know I did something. She demanded why I scared my sister and I explained how Melony overreacted over a tiny necklace.

After the lecture from my mom, I stomped to kitchen and poured myself a cup of orange juice. I ignored my sister for the rest of the morning as I got ready for school. Life sucked with a sister! Caitlin was lucky enough to be an only child. I wished I was all the time. Every day, Melony made my day terrible. School or going out was my only escape from her.