Chapter 38

"I don't want to be here," Kernasala grumbled.

"We are guarding our kings, Kernasala, surely even you can understand the importance of that."

"I treat both of those guys like my little brothers at times, Godel, I don't want to hear them trying to break each other!"

"Kerny, please, these walls are thick stone and this door is soundproof."

Kernasala stood at half-attentive guard, looking down the hallway as he leaned on the wall. He squinted, turning to the door. The small sound turned to louder moaning, eventually landing at a pace Kerny knew aligned with movement. He heard tapping on the wall accompanying the moans and snapped a childish look of pouting anger towards Godel, who was still staring straight ahead.

"I... may have been just a touch wrong..." she said, her eyebrows showing discomfort in response to what they could hear.

"Right. I'm getting some tea, would you like some?" Kerny asked, standing off the wall.

"Yes, please. Oh, and do hurry back," Godel said with a smile.

"Nope, I'm taking my time on this one," Kerny said slowly as walked quickly away from the door.

"Hey, careful!" James laughed as he walked blindly forwards, arms outstretched.

"I'm being careful!" Max laughed, his hands over the king's eyes as he guided him.

"You know I know this castle, right?" James asked, stopping and turning his head to the side, still blind. "You can blindfold me or tell me to close my eyes and I still wouldn't have to slow down. Plus, then I wouldn't be in constant threat of falling down because you're too short."

"I'm not too short, you're just gangly," Max said, turning James' head back and pushing him forward.

"Seriously, where are we going?" James asked, dragging himself and his king to the nearest wall.

"You'll see!"

"Keep your eyes closed," Max said after another hall. James closed his eyes and sighed, knowing exactly where they were. Max had tried to throw him off by looping and backtracking, but James knew where his throne room was. He was stopped and turned, feeling Max's hands over his eyes again.

"Ta da!" Max cheered, removing his hands. James opened his eyes to see a new throne next to Max's, nearly identical. Max's had been updated too; it wasn't simple wood and metal anymore, it had flower vines and the circles from James' crown accenting it.

"It's perfect," James said, walking towards it.

"Uh uh," Godel called aggressively from the side, "you can't sit there."

"Oh, can't I?" James asked, his arms crossing, "and why is that? I thought I was king, this is clearly a king's throne."

"Because," Godel said, hiking up her skirt and marching forward, "you are not kings." Her fake anger dropped into a genuine smile. "Not yet anyway. You have a vacation to go on before you go back to ruling a kingdom."

"Is that right?" James asked, turning to Max. "And I'm guessing I wasn't brought into planning because...?"

"Surprise?" Max asked with a shrug.

"You're lucky I know you know geography."

"Not just geography," Max said, "I know all the hideaways. I always do."

"Like Kanashi."

"Like the willow fields of Kenwo."

"Can we even go to Kenwo?"