Chapter 26

Pudoshik invited them to breakfast, citing that their supplies were already taken care of. James didn't know what supplies he was referring to, but he didn't ask. Kernasala trained a look on James for a moment until their plates were served, but it was quickly dropped when Kerny saw the meat on his plate. It wasn't threatening, so James wasn't worried, but it was curious.

Crowns worn, cloaks snapped around throats, boots marching with swords softly waving from hips. Gloves on and plates checked for Kernasala, a chained tucked into James' shirt by a shyly smiling Max. The four met Kansha and Nebran outside the castle, their plates solid and pristine. Kansha's crown was polished and Nebran held his helmet under his arm, adorned with a newly gilded crown, simple but noticeable. Max had shaved early that morning, dunking his head to get rid of shavings before dressing. He trimmed the stubble-beard he'd been growing and his hair was tied up neatly. He helped pin James' hair back before they left. It wasn't long enough to tie, not in the cut style it was in, so it was pinned with small metal tabs, vanishing into his hair as soon as they were placed.

Kernasala sat straight in the cart, breathing deep and slow the entire ride. James closed his eyes, trying to concentrate. He couldn't get angry, no matter what was said or what happened. Max stared at nothing, seeming perfectly calm; James could feel they were doing the same thing. Kernasala looked at James, giving him a reassuring nod as the carts pulled into the first wall of the arena. The door slammed heavily behind them. The second wall passed, the second door slammed. Third wall, third door.

The carts pulled to a gentle stop and James moved to stand. Max put a hand on his knee, otherwise unmoving. Kerny looked at him and lowered his hand. James returned to the way he was sitting. Armored people walked mechanically up to the cart. James saw their uniforms change for a flash, suddenly wearing striking colors and blinding white with gloves and hats that hid their eyes. Then they were back in uniforms hiding all defining features, with ink black gloves that ate sunlight and helmets that hid their eyes.

"Lem Kaj," one said, opening the door. Kernasala didn't move. Max stood robotically, exiting slowly. James looked at Kerny, who gave a small nod. He exited then, being as precise with his movements as he could be. He stood behind Max, just off to the side to give the bigger guard room.

"This way, lem Kaj," another guard said, marching precisely and slowly towards a small circular building. There were guards everywhere and James struggled to focus on nothing. Max seemed calm enough and Kerny had only given him good signals, so there was theoretically nothing he could mess up between here and there. The guard stopped in front of the building. He turned to the men and saluted, standing off to the side but still facing them. Max didn't move. Another guard appeared.

"Lem Kaj, please follow me." Kernasala turned to follow, throwing a look to James. He glanced at Max, unmoving as he stared straight ahead. He walked up to Kernasala and the guard began marching slowly away from the entrance of the ring to a ramp leading underground.

"Breathe, kid," Kernasala said, barely audible. "Just protocol. We count as witnesses and he goes in alone."

"Why are we here then?" James breathed, trying not to look around the corridor. He remembered having to shoot based on nothing but his peripheral; he could read a sewer tube like that, no problem.

"Because we were with him in Coshalak, we were a part of the war."

"How am I different from you, then?"

"Lower your voice," Kerny breathed. "Because you died, you gave us the gods." The men fell silent as they followed the pointing hand of the guard into a room. He shut the door firmly, but James could hear he didn't leave.

"Besides," Kerny said at normal volume, "did you really think Max would leave you out of this?"

"I still don't see how I'm important here."