Chapter 13

Zulasai shined bright on the infinite flat stone before James Melbourne. Cool breeze blew through his hair, dancing on his exposed neck in an odd air of calm. He walked forward calmly, finally breathing normally after so long. His ribs no longer hurt, his back was no longer spasming, his skin no longer crackling ache. A figure appeared in the distance, as big and strong as he should have always been. Agarron stood proudly before James, who stopped a good distance away so he wouldn't crane his neck looking in the god's eyes.

You have done well, James Melbourne.

"Thank you. It wasn't always easy." His voice was level, speaking the same way he did to his superiors in the dust camp.

I saw. But you have succeeded, and therefore will be returned to Kazik. But first, I have a gift for you.

"A gift? What, are you gonna give me a new sword or something?" he asked jokingly.

No. I will give you the gift of knowledge.

James groaned quietly, his shoulders slumping.

I believe you will appreciate it. It may not help you win the war, but it will answer a question you've been hiding from yourself.

Agarron began slowly walking to the side, James quickly jogging towards him to see where he was going. What question did he hide from himself? He frowned as he ran. If the answer was anything about his... internal questions, the god had no right to expose him to himself. Besides the shattering appearance of Max that first day, nothing else had been asked and silenced in his mind. James was suddenly next to the water, high up on the flat. He craned his neck to look up at Agarron.

Your small form would have taken much longer. He raised his head, looking at the infinite waters. James followed his gaze. Do you know where you are, James Melbourne?

"Not really... I could guess, but I don't recognize it."

You wouldn't — you are one of only a few to come here. You tried coming when you first came to Kazik. I believe you earned a bruise from your attempt.

James remembered trying to climb the sheer cliff to follow green flashing lights.

"This is the Ancients' Sanctuary," he said quietly, turning to look around at blank stone. "But they're not here."

No, they are not here. The Ancients inhabit the same world you do, just on another plane of reality. Only those who have shifted planes before can see them.

"That's why Max and I can see them. He's seen the realms of the dead and the Old World, and I come from another planet."

In part. Your theory would be true had every Incarnation seen them, but you are unique in that sense too, James.

"How?"

One needs the determination to break through reality planes. And it has to be for a powerful enough reason.

"Max wasn't ready to die, so he broke through the dead realms to the Old World." Agarron nodded. "And I came through..." James stopped, his throat tight and gut twisted. At the end of the day, he was still a liar and a cheat. He forced himself to swallow.

But for a reason, James. You felt the pull. A cry of help that you were determined to answer. You could have left at any point before Potalus closed the hole to your world. But each time I tested you, you stayed. A true feat of stubbornness.

James stared back at the water. The waves were nearly invisible with how small they were.

"Are the Ancients still stuck? Did I help them at all?"