For Eternity

I shuddered inwardly, remembering what Carlisle told me about the powerful coven called the Volturi. They were ruthless, and were supposedly the epitome of law and order in the vampire world.

As regal as they were described, they all slowly took their dark hoods off, revealing their crimson eyes. "Impressive. I've never seen a coven escape from an assault of this magnitude intact," the short blonde haired girl spoke. Her voice was calm and sweet, but held a deadly timber.

"We were lucky," Carlisle spoke.

"I doubt that," the blonde—whose name I remembered as Jane—from Carlisle's teaching lessons responded.

"It appears we missed an entertaining fight," Jane's brunette brother spoke—Alec.

"Yes, it's not often we're rendered unnecessary." Jane said, a slight smile appearing on her seemingly angelic face.

"If you'd arrived around a half hour ago you would've fulfilled your purpose," Edward retorted.

Jane responded with a condescending smile, "Pity." She swiveled her blonde head towards us, a bigger smile creeping on her face. "You missed two," she said, pertaining to Bree and Riley.

I immediately gripped Riley's hand tighter, ready to defend him if need be. "We offered Bree asylum in exchange for her surrender. Riley, on the other hand has had a change of heart, so to speak," Carlisle responded.

"That wasn't yours to offer," Jane responded as she set her eyes on Bree. "Why have you come? Who created you?" She asked, as Bree started contorting in pain on the ground. I remembered what Edward had warned me about Jane—she had powers to make anyone feel what she wanted them to—with her most common one being pain.

"I did," Riley stepped forward, as Bree's screaming ceased. "A woman named Victoria turned me, and wanted me to lead her newborn army. She wanted to kill Bella, as a way to avenge her mate, James."

"Interesting. So you were the cause of all the destruction that took place in Seattle," Jane said, her voice rising dangerously.

"Yes," Riley bowed his head. Suddenly, his body contorted the same way Bree's had done, as he screamed in pain.

"Get away from him!" I screamed, as I used my gift on the blonde who had been inflicting pain onto Riley. We all looked on in shock as Jane stopped and took a step back, under my command.

"Sister, what is wrong?" Her brother, Alec asked.

"T-that girl, she-put me under some sort of spell," Jane struggled to speak, her normally cold face contorted into an expression of fear. This was the first time I'd ever saw her express any emotion. The man named Demetri cast his eyes on me, where it was filled with such greed and wonder.

I stepped forward, addressing the Volturi. "You will not harm Riley. From this moment on, you will not lay a single hand on him or so help me I will make you regret it," I snarled. Riley was already taken from me once. I would make sure it never happened again.

"Now, leave and go back to wherever hole you crawled out of. There is no more trouble here," I commanded, as the Volturi all seemed to rigidly leave—although hesitantly.

"Selene, that was amazing!" Alice gushed from beside me, as she wrapped me in a hug. I found myself smiling back as I beheld my new family—and Riley. I finally felt true and utter happiness, for the first time in a year.

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Riley and I lay curled up on a sofa, as he played with my hair—he always used to do that when we were younger. We talked for hours, catching up and telling stories on how we both became vampires. I shuddered as I heard about Victoria turning him as he was walking home on the rainy day we had parted. I slowly felt the hole in my heart getting smaller and smaller as I spent more time with him.

"I um, have to tell you something," Riley said, nervously. I've never seen him this anxious, aside from that one time back in sixth grade when he flunked a test and had to break the news for his parents.

"Yes? What's wrong?" I asked, straightening my back.

"I- I've always wanted to tell you someday, but couldn't because of the whole-vampire thing," he said as I listened intently.

"I love you, Selene. I've loved you since we were children, and I've loved you since." Upon seeing my frozen figure, he immediately looked down, "I- I know you may not feel the same way but I'm sorry. I needed to tell you. I had to make sure I wouldn't lose the chance again, but-"

He stopped talking as I pressed my lips onto his, wrapping my arms around his neck. "I love you too, Riley," I said as I ran my fingers through his golden hair. It was just as soft as I remembered it to be.

"You do?" He asked, meeting his crimson eyes with my amber ones.

I nodded, my lips curving upward into a smile. "I've loved you for years now- I just never thought you felt the same way."

He opened his mouth to respond when we heard footsteps coming our way. I immediately got off of his lap, and if vampires could blush, I would've been as red as a tomato by now.

"Are you lovebirds done? I'd like to have some time with Selene now," Alice's head popped over my shoulder, with a teasing grin on her pretty face. I chuckled as Alice took my arm and led me outside after a quick see-you-later to Riley.

"There's our little spell-caster!" Emmett said as we entered the kitchen where most of the Cullens were in. I smiled, delighted to see my newfound family equally as happy as I.

We playfully chattered for a little, while Riley entered the room—clasping hands with me. "You know, the Volturi now know that you're special. Aro would want you to join them, eventually," Carlisle said, turning more serious now. I've heard about the infamous leader of the Volturi—he chose vampires who possessed special gifts, and recruited them to join his coven.

"Yea, he's been wanting Alice and I to join them. As if we'd ever leave our family for them," Edward spoke. Everyone solemnly looked at each other, thoughts of the future heavy in the air.

"Well, I reckon that that's an issue for a different day. For now, let's celebrate our victory," I said, attempting to lighten the mood. Everyone gave me warm smiles. It was quite ironic, how I was the one lifting everyone out of their dark thoughts—considering how I was a few weeks ago.

We bantered for a few more minutes, until Riley told me he wanted to show me something outside. I wondered what it was, as he told me to close my eyes—and guided me out the Cullen house.

After a few steps, he told me to open my eyes as he stood in front of me, smiling bashfully. "What is it?" I asked, noticing that he was holding something from behind him.

"I wanted to give you a present, I was supposed to give it to you for your upcoming birthday. I bought it on the day we watched that movie. You know, before everything happened," he said—holding out a small black box.

I smiled as I took the present from him, opening the box to find a delicate golden bracelet—with two heart charms dangling from its bangle. Upon further glance, each of them had our initials engraved on it—an R and an S.

I quickly slid it on, finding it to be the perfect fit as I gave Riley a hug, planting a kiss on his perfectly shaped lips. "I love it, and I love you. Thank you, Riley."

He smiled into my kiss, wrapping his arms around my waist. "I love you too, Selene. Like I've never loved anything before. Promise me you'll stay with me for eternity?" He lifted his pinky finger for me to shake, much like when we were kids at my ballet studio.

I smiled, one of my first genuine smiles in months, and lifted my pinky to his.

"For eternity."