The Wolf Pack

I sighed, already regretting the decision of agreeing to train with the wolves. Carlisle made a deal with the pack's leader; Sam Uley to forge an alliance to protect Bella against the oncoming newborn army—which led us to this moment. The Cullens all stood in the forest, tensely awaiting the pack's arrival.

I stiffened as I spotted the approaching wolves—each as huge and terrifying as the last. The wolves had its own unique fur color, which differentiated them from each other. I cocked my head to the side, wondering why they weren't approaching us in their human forms.

"They don't trust us enough to come in their human forms," Edward explained upon noticing my confusion. I whipped my head to stare at the biggest black wolf straight in its amber eyes accusatorially. It gave me a low snarl in response, to which I responded with a growl of my own.

"Easy now, what matters is that they came," Carlisle laid a hand on my shoulder—an effort to calm me down. "Edward, would you mind translating their thoughts?" He asked, attempting to ease the tension.

Edward nodded, turning to the wolves. "They want to know how newborns differ from older—more mature vampires."

Carlisle gave an understanding nod as he gestured for Jasper to speak. Jasper stepped forward, his golden hair shining in the light as he launched into a detailed explanation of how newborns were more powerful. "They still have human blood lingering in their vessels, which is why a vampire's newborn state is where they are at their strongest. In addition to being more powerful, they are especially hard to control and would do anything to get blood."

We all shifted uncomfortably at his explanation, but were determined to be prepared to hold our ground against them. Shortly thereafter, Jasper beckoned each of us to spar with him—as a way to point out what we would need to improve when fighting.

Emmett went first, with Jasper telling him not to hold back. "Not in my nature," Emmett smirked as he attempted to tackle Jasper—but was thwarted when Jasper sidestepped him and held him to the ground with one hit. Emmett walked away, looking slightly bashful as I tried giving him a consoling pat.

The rest of the Cullen family went next—with Jasper giving them all pointers. I held in my arising laugh as Edward's leg was roughly pulled by Carlisle—who was laying on the ground. "One more thing—Never turn your back on your enemy," Jasper said, smiling slightly.

An hour later of training, we were all panting slightly—even the wolves. I stretched, wincing slightly at the growing bruise on my arm—from when Jasper pushed me during training. Rosalie and I walked back to the glass-lined house after a quick farewell to Jasper and Alice—both of whom had chosen to stay behind, talking to Bella.

"What are they talking about?" I asked curiously, looking back at the ever-retreating figure of the human girl.

Rosalie also turned her blonde head to look at Bella, "She's asking about Jasper's past." I looked at Rosalie, my face curious.

"Right, I've never heard about it. All he told me was that he was a part of the Confederate army during his early life," I said.

"Well, he's had a rough life. He was a part of the Confederate army—that is, before Maria turned him," Rosalie explained as we continued our trek to the Cullen house again.

"Who's Maria?"

"She was a beautiful and cunning vampire. She was the leader of her own coven, and wanted to make an army. Much like Victoria's goal. She turned Jasper because she knew he'd be useful to her. They were in a- relationship, of sorts. It was never healthy though, she played him like her puppet and used him to carry out her deeds," Rosalie explained sadly.

My thoughts flicked to Riley as I muttered under my breath, "Much like what Victoria is doing to Riley."

Rosalie looked at me sympathetically but I kept a stoic face and didn't talk again until we reached the house.

The Cullens were all back—aside from Jasper and Alice as we arrived home. They had mentioned how they wanted to test my newfound powers and discover my capabilities. I sighed, feeling exhausted—but I knew it had to be done. Time was running out and I needed to stand on my own—had to know how to defend myself against the oncoming army and Victoria.

I didn't think much about my inevitable meeting with Riley. After all, he still didn't know what I had become. On one hand, I felt as though I should've hated him by now. After all he'd done-
But I couldn't. I don't think I could ever hate him.

Carlisle shook me out of my revery as he signaled the beginning of my training. Jasper and Alice had just arrived back, so it was time. Jasper led the training, once again. We spend hours trying to hone my ability—as this would be useful against Victoria.

"She doesn't know you have powers yet. We can use this to our advantage—she will have underestimated you," Jasper strategized.

"I could compel her to stop moving when things get dire. From there, Edward could finish her off," I agreed, looking at Bella's brown haired mate.

He nodded reluctantly, I knew he didn't like killing others—even sadistic ones like Victoria. But we all knew it had to be done. Otherwise, we'd stand to lose everyone and everything we cared for. And I had vowed to myself that I would release Riley from her clutches—and save him.