Chapter 4: Preparations

Start from the beginning

"Your Majesty, from one of our spies near their border, we have gathered slightly more information than we have known previously." One of the councilmen began his turn.

"And that is?" The King questioned his councilman.

"That this country...is unlike the Parpaldians."

A silence filled the room.

"Explain further," The King said.

"From what our spy told us, they seem to be on par with the Mu and the Holy Millishal Empire. Their "border guards" have magic staffs, what the superpower countries would call 'guns'."

The faces of the other council members darkened as they heard the news, while the King nodded in agreement, as he got his shock in the morning.

"Then we are in a predicament, gentlemen. What are your options?" The King asked his council.

"We should continue our invasion as planned! That way this new enemy won't have time to gather their forces!"

"No! We must take time and consideration in our approach! This so-called "barbarian" nation might be able to bite our bottoms before we even have a chance to attack! It is imperative that we prepare! Preparation is key to victory!"

"But so is a quick attack! Giving time for our enemies will also give them more of a chance to prepare their defenses and have their spies be able to survey how much our forces are building up. Once they realize that we are assembling a larger invasion force from before, it would only be a matter of time before they are able to mount a defense so overwhelming, it will drive us back to where we started, even potentially back into Jin-Hark ourselves!"

The Councilmen argued with each other, which almost certainly would have turned into one of the rare chaotic meetings that the King had, had it not been for the timely arrival of one of his top generals, General Minimel.

"Your Majesty, I have something to say regarding today's meeting. I do apologize for interrupting the Supreme Council. " The general began.

"You may speak, General Minimei."

The King trusted his generals as they time and time again knew the situation that unfolded in front of them and crafted masterful strategies to deal with their opponents. This was how some of the dominions inside the Lourian kingdom were swiftly conquered.

"Ahem. Your Majesty, I believe it would be best to give our army time to prepare in light of the revelation, as well as give our air units more wyverns and our navy more ships to combat this seemingly new threat. Otherwise we risk the extinction of our forces from the moment we start the invasion in a week from now," General Minimei said.

"And how long do you want to extend our preparation?" The King asked the General.

"I believe until the end of this year."

"And why is that?"

"It is simple really. Our forces are not yet prepared to undertake an invasion into the holy land on this much of a massive scale. We may have built our forces, but to put it bluntly, most of the troops are not as well disciplined as you like them, your Majesty."

"That is...very concerning."

"Yes, your Majesty, it is. The ground troops are mostly lazy in their duties, doing the bare minimum they can when it comes to these important duties. Wyvern riders spend most of their day playing cards instead of training like the Muians, and the navy is everywhere at all times, not coordinating with each other as a functional navy. Time needs to be put aside for them to be trained properly in being an invasion force, that is in the span of the next nine months, giving us sufficient time. I hope you consider that recommendation."