Chapter 3: Never judge a book by its cover

Cas' POV:

When I turned around in my seat slowly and came face to face with the jock from yesterday, I didn't really know what to do. He had spoken to me and was now smiling at me which I gotta admit made me feel a little bit weird inside.

"Um, hey." I say back and his smile get bigger, if that's even possible. "I'm Dean." He introduces himself so I guess I better do the same. "I'm..." "Castiel, I know." I look at him wide eyed, how in hell did he now my name we've only spoken once and even then it was only two lines. "When a new kid comes into this school, half the people at school who are trying to get on my good side, just line up to tell me everything they know about that person. Whether it's true or not." He explains and I nod.

"Well considering the only person at this school I've spoken to is you, its probably all lies unless the people at this school are creepy stalkers." I tell him, before the bell rings and I quickly get up and leave without another word.

Dean's POV:

Castiel left the class at the speed of light as soon as the bell rang which kinda disappointed me. I was looking forwards to finding out if the stuff and I'd heard was true or not, and I really hope it's not.

I'd heard that he had 4 brothers and 1 sister, but that one of them was gay or something and his family then disowned him but that's not what shocked me most. I heard that his father hits him whenever he's home and that he even hospitalised him once.

The rest of the morning went by in a blur. I walked to my class, sat down, took notes not really thinking about anything I was doing for all I know I was probably taking maths notes in my English book.

I kept thinking about Castiel and all I've heard about hoping, wishing even, it's not true. apart from being stupid enough to challenge me he seemed like a nice kid and even if he's not, no one deserves a father like that. I was lucky my father loved me, he took care of me and Sammy, especially after mum died. I was only four so didn't hit as hard as it hit him but he kept together for us. It's been about 4 years since he died, car crash. I was 14 and Sammy was only 6, now we live with our sorta uncle, Bobby. He helped me out after losing dad, if wasn't for Bobby I don't think I would have survived it.

~~~~

It was now lunch time and as I walked into the cafeteria I was immediately called over my Kevin. "Dean. Coming over?" He questions and I shake my head. "No, I think I'm just gonna eat outside today." I tell him and start to walk away, "Do you want any company?" He asks, I turn and smile at him skiing my head again. I hear him mumble an 'ok' before I walk outside. I walk out to the outside tables that are usually empty at this time of year but this time I see a person sitting alone at one of the tables.

As I walk closer I can see that it's Castiel so I decide to walk over and sit beside him. "Hey punk." I say as I sit down an he looks up at me with shock and little bit of anger visible in his face. "What did you call me?" He asks being completely serious.

"Uh...Punk. You know because...of the blue," I say pointing to my own hair, then moving to point at my arms. "...and um...the tattoos," finally I point at my face. "And the piercings." I finish and he looks at me angrily. "Oh so just because I die my the tip of my hair blue, get piercings and have tattoos it means that I'm punk." He say and I look at him, shocked. "N...no. That's....uh...n...not..." I stutter, wait what. Since when do I, Dean Winchester, stutter.

"You what I get it. You're the football captain, popular, loved by all. So you get to just go around judging people by what you see right?" At this he gets up and walks away, leaving me wide eyed. No one ever speaks to me like that, not ever. But he was telling the truth.

I judge people by what I see, if you wear glasses you're a nerd. If you have the smallest of tattoos you're a punk. If a girl wears short dresses she's a slut. If you drive an expensive car you're rich and stuck up. And if you play football you're popular. That's when his words really hit me, I just judge people by what they look like. I don't even like half of my so called 'friends' but they played football so I forced myself to like them. The only half decent people were Kevin and Adam the rest were just jackass'.

When the bell rang I walked to class in a daze. Was I really that shallow? Did I judge people to quickly? These questions kept ringing in my head. I had French now, barf. But at least I have engineering class later, with Bobby. At first I was worried that he was gonna embarrass me but he turned out to be a really cool teacher, so it was all good.

Our French teacher decided not to show up today so we had a free. The teacher covering our free was one of does tech era who didn't give two shales of a rats ass. Is that right, do rats shake their ass or is it something else. Well either way she didn't give a shït what you do as long as you're quiet. I took out my phone and plugged in my earphones, laying my head on the table and listening to music and thinking.

I must have fallen asleep because I was woken up by the bell ringing and kids running out of class in a mad rush. I quickly put my phone away and exited the classroom heading towards engineering. When I got there I sat down in my usual seat and waited for Bobby to show. A second or two after I sat down Adam ran in and sat down beside me.

"Dude, you will never guess what just happened." He says ectoderm and I simply ask him 'what'. "Well you know that kid that gave you shït yesterday, you know the punk one." He says and I get angry at him for just assuming Castiel was a punk even though I had done the same thing. "Just because he has pricing a doesn't mean he's a punk ok." I yell at him, making a few people look over at us.

"Ok, jeez. Anyway, I just had class with him, and we had geography with Mr Kane. Well he came back from lunch late and looking extremely pissed and when Mr Kane started yelling at him for being late he told him that he needs a breath mint and took out a polo and gave it to him. Needless to say he got detention, but the look on Mr Kane's face was priceless." He explains just as Bobby walks in and started the class.

Wow, was all I could think of to say in this situation. No one has ever been so rude to a teacher, especially on like Mr Kane. I mean sure I mess around with teachers, but the cool type of teachers that usually just take it like its nothing. Then I realised that Castiel had detention, he was gonna be in the library by himself for an hour after school. That was my perfect change to talk to him and apologise and explain what I really meant to say at lunch. But the library was closed after school so I couldn't just walk in, I needed to get detention.

Engineering was my last class today and there's wasn't enlighten time to do anything bad enough to get detention so I decide to just ask Bobby after class, he would give me one right?

Once class was over I packed up slowly, wanting to be the last one to leave. Once everyone had left I went up to Bobby. "Hey can I have a detention?" I ask bluntly getting straight to the point. Bobby looks at shocked. "Why the hell do you want a detention?" I tried to think of a reasonable answer but I couldn't really find one. "I just do okay. Plus which one would you prefer, you give a detention now or I get into trouble tomorrow and get a detention myself." I say and he reaches in his bag and hands me a detention slip. "You worry me sometimes you that right?" I don't bother replying, just smile and run down the hall towards the library and yelling back a "Thanks Bobby."

As I reached the library I slowed down, getting slightly nervous. I really wanted Castiel to like me, but I've already screwed up with him so many times. I stand outside the library for a couple seconds before must long up the courage to open the doors and walk in.

What I see is definitely not what I expected....