Chapter 2

I was rooted in the place. I was in shock. I don't remember how I reached home. Everything was a blur. They were bringing Aashvi in a different car, and Ankit was with her.

I clearly remember when we brought Aashvi home for the first time when she was born. Jay held my hand, and Ankit was carrying her in his arms. She was wearing a cute pink onesie, looking so adorable. Her chubby cheeks were flushed pink. I remember she was watching everything with her curious eyes. Everyone in the family was ecstatic about her arrival.

Especially Jay, Ankit, and dad. She had wrapped the three men around her pinky.

Today also, Jay is supporting me, and Ankit is carrying her. The only difference is that he is holding her dead body. Her pink, chubby cheeks were pale, and her beautiful eyes were closed. She wasn't breathing. Instead of happy faces, everyone was crying.

Mom told Jay and me to freshen up so that we could start Ashu's last rituals. I was still in a daze when Jay grabbed my hand and led me to our room.

Jay got an important call, so I went in for a shower first. I don't know how long I was standing under the water, but a knock pulled me out of my reverie. I wore the bathrobe and went out.

Jay was waiting for me near the door. He silently took my hand and moved to the closet and made me sit on the chair, and redressed my wound. After redressing my injury, he went into the bathroom.

I quickly changed into a white saree and took Jay's clothes out. I left the closet and moved into my room. I stood in front of the mirror, reminiscing the days when I was pregnant with Aashvi.

Her Outfit

Her Outfit

I heard Jay's sobs coming from the bathroom, tearing me up. Jay is trying to stay strong for me, but I know Aashu's death hit him the most. Aashu was a daddy's girl. The bond they shared was so beautiful. Even during pregnancy, she somehow felt her father's presence.

Jay came out of the closet in his white kurta. He hugged me from behind, looking at me in the mirror. His eyes were puffy and red. We both were silently crying. He was unconsciously rubbing my tummy just like he used to do when I was pregnant, making me more guilty.

I turned and buried my face in his chest, mumbling sorry again and again. He just held me tighter in return.

 He just held me tighter in return

His Outfit

A knock on the door made us break apart. It was Poorvi. She came to inform us that panditji is here. We both went downstairs, holding each other's hands.

Panditji - priest