"Jack wanted me to look. Han– Dr. Lecter – he wanted me to-to stop. I-I... I wanted to look. I wanted to help." Nausea swept him as the IV poured the poison into his veins, making the room spin. The black and white scene behind Chilton had changed. Now it was the storage room in the cellar of the Baltimore State Hospital, and he could see Hannibal's back, muscles rippling beneath his skin as he thrust into Will. His other self throwing his head back and moaning in satisfaction, knuckles pale as he gripped the pipe behind his head. Name the bait on your hook after somebody you cherished.

"I'm the bait," Will murmured, his breathing coming faster now, heart thundering behind his ears.

"What's that?" Chilton's voice rose through the primeval thudding in his head.

"What was the question?" Will managed through deflating lungs.

"I asked if you felt like Dr. Lecter breached the doctor-patient relationship. You've both referred to one another as friends having conversations. How personal was your relationship, exactly?"

The movie his mind projected on the wall behind Chilton changed scenes again with another old-timey blur transition. Will saw himself in bed with Hannibal, the morning after their second encounter. The table by the fireplace bore the remnants of their omelets, and steam rose gently from a pair of coffee cups. The breakfast was, however, abandoned, and Hannibal was kissing the space beneath Will's navel, moving his mouth lower in tantalizing increments before sliding his tongue along Will's length and taking him in. Swallowing the bait.

"W-we had drinks once. I– I caught a fish, and he cooked it."

"Just a few little social calls?" Chilton raised a skeptical eyebrow.

Will forced himself to nod, a sweaty lock of hair falling over his damp forehead. Despair swelled within him as the vision behind Chilton shifted again, dark at the edges like a vignette or a silent film degraded by time. The hotel room in Bloomington, Minnesota bled into view and he was forced to watch as Hannibal encircled him from behind in the tenderest of embraces, a hand over Will's heart, lips at his neck. Will could feel that body now, shielding him, holding him close, protectively.

His name, an invocation. Will.

Hannibal Lecter has no reason other than his own amusement and curiosity. His words to Beverly intruded on the scene, souring it. He teared up, the despair gathering under his jawline, constricting his tongue.

"I suppose that's no more than usual for an acquaintance of Hannibal's," Chilton droned on, writing something on his notepad.

"Amusement and curiosity," Will said before he could stop himself. He couldn't breathe. His heart was breaking again, right now, as the drugs forced him to relive it all, tearing down the mental barriers he'd erected for his own sanity.

I let you into my body. Fucking me for fun, j-just because you could – I mean, did you even want me, or was it part of the g-game? Wind me up and see what you could get me to do? See how much I'd let you do to me?

"And how about your past, Will? How deeply did Hannibal dive into you?"

"Dive into me?" Will stuttered.

"Dive into it," Chilton either repeated or corrected himself, Will didn't know which.

"I told him about my mother." Will couldn't stop his words before they came out. He clamped down in his mind and shut his mouth.

"What about her?"

Will took a measured breath, trying to ignore the vision behind Chilton. It had changed again. Hannibal's bedroom, after they'd made love, sitting on the bed with their legs twined, Hannibal's hand on his.