5 | Lockdown

After only a few days, word got out that someone had broken into the house of the Komaeda's. People kept asking Komaeda questions and he did appreachiate it, but the only thing he wanted right now was to forget it ever happened. Because all that information got out to the public, Komaeda did too. People wanted to know more about him. They wanted to see him. They wanted to know who he was and what he was like.

His parents still kept refusing any interviews or photos, but people complained. They wanted to see him. It was truly strange to Komaeda. He was just their son, he never achieved the things his parents did.

His parents had told him to stay at home for a while, for his own safety. He wasn't even allowed to go to school at the moment. It made him feel lonely, but he knew it was the right thing to do. He'd seen his mother being asked about him in interviews. His father made sure to tell the principal to let his students know not to post any pictures with Komaeda in them for a while.

Komaeda sat in his room, studying. Just as he opened his computer, he got a video call from Souda. He accepted it and saw almost his entire class and Hinata staring at him through the screen.
"Oh, hey!" He said, surprised.

"Soul bro, we miss you!" Souda whined.

"You haven't been here for two weeks. Can you tell us what's going on? We don't have a lot of info to be honest," Nanami said.

Komaeda sighed. "Two weeks ago, I was home alone because my parents were on a business trip. Someone broke into my house and took pictures of me. I still don't know who the intruder was, but people found out it had happened and kinda... took an interest in me, I guess. My parents wanna keep me safe so they won't let me go out,"

"Bummer." Nanami frowned.

"And are you okay? Don't you feel lonely?" Hinata asked.

"I do... but it's important to keep me safe, so I have to put up with it," He said. "You guys shouldn't worry about me, I'll be back soon enough,"

"Yukizome-sensei told us to say hi from her," Koizumi said.

"Ah, that's kind of her. You guys really-"

His father walked into the room. "Hey, you really shouldn't be calling anyone right now,"

"But... They're just my friends,"

"Nagito, this is for your own good,"

Komaeda sighed. "I have to go. I'll talk to you guys soon." He closed the laptop. His father walked up to him and ruffled his hair.

"I know this isn't easy, sweetie, but your mom and I are really worried about you,"

"I'm just so lonely... I miss hanging out with my friends,"

"I know. You'll see them soon. But wanna know something cool? Your mom's gonna get takeout on the way home from work,"

Komaeda looked up, smiling. "Ah, really? We haven't gotten takeout in like... forever!"

His father smiled. "Nagito, can you promise me something?"

He tilted his head. "What is it?"

"Promise me not to sneak out, okay? I know you're a teenager and sometimes doing stuff like that seems fun, but I need you to be safe. I couldn't forgive myself if I lost you,"

"I promise." Komaeda held up his pinky finger.

His father interlocked their fingers. Then, they heard the front door open.

"I'm home!" Komaeda's mother called out. Komaeda smiled and hurried downstairs. When his father arrived there too, he saw Komaeda hugging his mother.

"Hey, Nagi." She rubbed his back, smiling. "I brought some food for us." She held up a bag and Komaeda's smile grew wider.

They soon sat down and began eating.

"So, what did you do all day, honey?" She asked Komaeda.

"Not much. I did the homework Nanami-san sent me and then I got a call from my friends, but dad said I'm not allowed to call anyone," He sulked.

His mother chuckled. "He's right, you know?"

"I do..."

"How was work, darling?" Komaeda's father asked his wife.

"Honestly, exhausting. Even our employees have began asking questions about Nagito. You're lucky they let you work from home at the moment. It would be much easier if the public just knew about him, but that's too dangerous,"

Komaeda frowned. He was really stressing his parents out, even if it wasn't his intention. Maybe it would be better if he didn't have to be kept a secret. It's not like he'd never considered it. When he was a little kid, he'd always dreamed of being as famous as his parents. 'Komaeda' was a household name at this point.

When he was five, he wanted to be a musician. When he was twelve, he wanted to be a famous actor. And, he was embarrassed to admit it, but just a year ago, when he was sixteen, he'd dreamed of becoming a model. He'd developed an interest in fashion and wanted everyone to see. For a guy like him, it would be easy to become famous. He just had to post one video or photo of himself and people would go crazy over it at this point.

"Nagito? You okay?" His dad asked.

"Oh, uh, yeah,"

"If we don't want to show him to the public, we have to find a way to get the attention away from him," His mother said.

"If... if you can't find a way... I wouldn't mind terribly if you were to... you know, show me to the public,"

"Absolutely not," His father said.

"I know it's dangerous, but you guys are so stressed out and... it's gonna happen eventually,"

"What do you mean?"

"The photos. The intruder took photos of me, right? There's no way they won't get shown to the public," Komaeda said.

His father sighed. "Nagito, I don't think you understand. You think being famous is all fun and games, but it's not,"

"I-I don't think that! Mom's just been... so sleepy and exhausted lately... I'm making this harder than it needs to be,"

"Nagito, I'd gladly take a bullet for you. This is nothing. I don't care if I'm tired. If it's to protect my son, I'll do anything," She said in a stern voice.

Komaeda sighed and nodded.