Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

When I didn't see the Delta, I thought I'd have to knock again and confront yet another escort. However, a flirtatious giggle had me rounding the cabin's side. The sight stopped me short.

The Delta was grinning, and that enough was enough to make me jump. His smile was charming -- disarming, almost, and I was surprised by how well it suited his face. His eyes were locked on the girl before him, her ice-blonde hair seeming to float in the breeze. When I spied her pale hazel eyes and voluptuous curves, I realised what this was. Another one of his escorts. Silently, I hovered in the background, like a ghost observing the living.

"...Another time, Ashleigh. I have errands to run," The Delta said. Ashleigh -- the girl -- pouted.

"Those can waiiit. I want to spend time with you."

She batted her long lashes again, and as she leaned into his chest, I was solemnly reminded of how different I was. She was pretty, with a picture-perfect smile and curves that would make any man grovel. I was hollow, gaunt, and any curves I once had were gone to weeks of starvation and distress. I had only started getting my hips back recently. She also held a feminine radiance, one that seemed to glow when she laughed and smiled. I didn't have that radiance. I was violent. I was the type to leave my friends behind. I was a killer.

I blinked. But why should I compare myself to one of his escorts?

The Delta breathed a chuckle, drawing her in by the waist in a fluid motion. "I suppose I could make an exception--"

Then his eyes caught mine, and every bit of joy died on his face. In an instant, his lips were drawn into a grim line. He released the girl. She blinked, confused, and then glared when her eyes found on me. She whirled on the Delta. "Really? She's your errand?"

"Not like that, Ash," The Delta ground out, eyes still locked on mine. I stared back, impassive. "She's just an assignment."

The girl blew out a frustrated a breath. "Really? The court freak?" She leaned into him, then, her face forming a pout. "She doesn't deserve your time, handsome. You deserve someone like me--"

"Leave, Ashleigh," he growled, and the girl fell silent. She looked as though she'd been slapped. In a daze, she whirled and stormed away, not bothering to apologize as she bumped into my shoulder. I didn't dare look at her. I kept my eyes on the Delta.

Once she was out of ear-shot, he spoke. "I would prefer a little warning, next time, Epsilon. I have a life too, you know."

I shrugged. "Your letter said midday."

"And you're twenty minutes early."

I opened my mouth to respond, but then realised he was right. I had come early, if only to find myself a distraction. The Delta shook his head.

"No matter." He strode towards me, stopping a respectable distance away. I wondered if he was remembering how I'd punched the Alpha. "Today, I want to teach you something important."

The hairs on my arms rose. "And what's that--" Before I could finish, lightning was lashing down to the ground next to me. My entire body seized. 

"Jesus!" I shrieked, jumping back. Smoke furled from the charred grasses, the humid scent of ozone clogging my nostrils. I stared at the Delta, furious. "What the hell was that for?"