•chapter 6• storybook romance... right?

↗️Whoops wrong miles teller character ... maybe if its the spectacular now it'd be on point

Avery's current pov

   I sit at Rooster and I's table until we're dismissed. I'm literally willing the clock to go faster. Right after Rooster confronted me, Maverick came into the classroom and seemed very irritated.
   Bradley's right though. He's right about everything he said to me. I've had years for this decision. Why don't I know anymore?
When we're dismissed I start to collect my papers and take a breath. I open my mouth to ask Rooster if we can talk but his chair scrapes the ground and he is out of his seat before I can look up.
I guess this isn't going to go the way I want it to. I quickly follow him to his car and before he can open the door I put my hand on the handle.
"Rooster," I say and search his eyes "I told you I loved you. And I meant it. So maybe this isn't my problem; It's yours."
   I can tell he is furious. "Will you just stop?" Rooster is fuming. "You don't love me. If you did you would've called. If you did you would've found me. If you wanted to you would. Don't act like you've just been trying to have me all this time!" He just about yells.
   My teeth grit against each other. "Don't act like you've done anything either! I'd be surprised if you haven't fucked anyone since we've even been here!" I have fully lashed out at him.
   "What besides you? Maybe I have. Maybe I haven't. Its not your business!" Rooster says, "I don't need another controlling bitch on my back."
  "Good god maybe you need to shut up! Just stop!" I shout, "Maybe I was wrong!"
  "At least you're closer to figuring out what you want!" He quips at me, "Can you move out of the way?"
  I spin on my heel and flip him the bird. I hop into my car and drive away. My music is practically blowing out my speakers. But I don't even care.

     ——————————————————————

   I drive straight to Penny's but as I look forward somebody's blue bronco is already there. Revenge is sweet. I whisper to myself as I get out of the car. I unbutton my flight suit a bit and take my bun out. My dark brown hair flows over my shoulders and I put my sunglasses down.
   Wearing a hot smirk I walk up to the bar and place my card down as I wait for her to give me a drink. I decided the usual beer wasn't fitting for tonight so I order a glass of bourbon. Revenge is best served cold.
   When I grab my glass from the bar I feel someone's hand on my back. I turn my head to look who it is and Hangman is standing behind me. My smirk probably turns into a devilish look by now.
   I turn around so he is standing over me and place my elbows on the bar. My tongue absentmindedly runs over my teeth and I look up at Hangman.
   "What was it... trouble in paradise?" He says with a matching smirk to mine. "Since when was I in paradise?" I respond.
  "Touché. Could I offer you a dance? Nothing formal... just something fun." He offers his hand. "You know what? Tonights perfect." I take his hand. He leads me to the space next to the bar and in between tables.
   An old country song comes on and he interlocks our fingers. Hangman spins me around and a giggle comes out of my mouth without intention.        
  "Thats what I was looking for." He whispers into my ear when he spins me back in. "Have some fun Avery."
   I look up at him and smile and we continue to dance around until the songs over. Then he brings me close. "Want to seal the deal?" Hangman asks. My breath hitches and I look over at Rooster.
  Rooster's sitting at the bar talking to an extremely beautiful girl. Too bad I know for a fact she will be back together with her boyfriend next week. What? Its a small town around top gun. I hear the drama.
   He starts to turn his head towards me and I shoot my eyes towards Hangman and crash my lips onto his. He pulls my waist close with one hand and holds my jaw with the other. After a few seconds, I pull away.
   I can't bring my eyes to Hangman or Rooster. Hangman looks around and back to me with a smirk. He brings his mouth close to my ear and says, "Trust me. It worked. He's gonna tap my shoulder in 3..2..1."
   "Hangman." Rooster says is a low voice, "Can I borrow Wildcard for a moment." He asks. I look at Hangman and then Rooster. "Of course Rooster. Don't have too much fun without me Wildcard." Hangman says and shoots me a wink.
   Bradley grabs my wrist and pulls me towards a secluded part of the bar. "What the fuck?" He says in a whisper yell, "I thought you said he was blackmailing you! Another lie?"
   I yank my wrist out of his grasp. "What? You don't own me! I don't need another annoying bitch on my back!" I say with a twisted grin.
   He moves away from the bar and I follow with my arms crossed. We're in a corner of the bar with nobody around.
   Bradley brings his voice to an ever lower whisper and clasps his hands onto my low shoulders. "Lets not be mistaken Wildcard. You're my girl not his."
   I look up at him with honestly a bit scared eyes. He looks at me like he is reprimanding me like a child that just drew on the wall. I swallow hard.
   "What makes you think that?" I say. But before I can finish his hands are in my hair and his lips are on mine in a passionate frenzy.
    Bradley pulls back first. His breaths are rough and he looks at me with dark eyes. "That. That is what makes me think you're mine." I'm speechless.
    I turn around and spot the door behind us. "I- I don't why don't we l- leave." I can barely spit a word out. I slowly turn towards the door and his eyes search mine.
   "Lets go then." Bradley says after a second. I walk around towards the passenger side of the bronco. In a few seconds we are leaving Penny's.
    His hand finds my thigh and gives it a squeeze. Neither of us says anything. In a few minutes we're back on the base and at his apartment.
    Bradley sits back and looks over at me. He runs a hand through his hair. "I should't have said those things today." He says in a quiet voice.
    I open my mouth but wait a second to speak, as if I'm finding words. "Its fine. We're fine. I should't have either." I say firmly. Bradley reaches over and plants a soft kiss on my lips before he gets out and comes over towards me.
    I'm getting out of the car as he opens the door and offers me his hand. "Such a gentleman." I say with a cocky smile.
    "Well I've heard I'm quite the charmer." He says with a slow, raspy voice. Bradley leads me inside and leads me to sit down on his bed. He peels his shirt off and looks at me with questioning eyes.
    I quickly nod and step out of my flight suit. After that I peel my shirt off and step towards Rooster with desperation. He wraps his arms around my hips and my hands are in his hair.

    ——————————————————————

    Later, we are sitting in his bed. He is combing his hands through my hair and tucks it behind my ear. "Don't look at me like that." I say.
  "How can I not?" Bradley asks like I'm missing something. I roll my eyes and look at him. He's serious.
  "Avery you're absolutely perfect." Bradley says breathlessly. I swallow. Having no words to say, I reach up to him and kiss him soft and slow.
   I almost say it. I almost tell him I love him. But now doesn't seem right. It seems like maybe I am lying, saying it as a response.
   I lay my head on his chest and draw stars on his chest. Bradley is still stroking my hair. After a few hours more though, I have to leave. We have work tomorrow and I don't feel like showing up to work with him.
   When I'm at the door I give him a strong kiss. I look up to him and a burst of happiness explodes inside of me. "I love you Bradley. I'll see you tomorrow." I turn around and take a few steps before I almost trip.
   I did NOT mean to say that out loud. It just was a stray thought that slipped out in a perfect moment. I turn and look back to see Rooster standing there leaning against the door way.
   "I love you Avery." He says and I barely hear him. I stop in my tracks for a second but then decide better of it and walk away.

    ——————————————————————

Author's Note:

   Oh. My. Gosh. That was crazy. 🎢 What'd you guys think? The toxic radar is beeping. 📡 Whoops! Love you guys! Thanks for reading! Don't be a stranger! Leave a comment and vote if you are enjoying! I'll try and post again tomorrow!
💙💙💙 - nat </3