Selected By An Academy

It had been a while since she saw the beautiful stars of the night. They illuminated the cerulean sky like beacons of hope for all the lost souls of the world. Hope... was there truly hope for her?

Her diamond-blue eyes melted into the castaways of stars not minding the eerie quietness of the dawn. In her line of sight were two superheroes battled a creature in the free air of skies and as soon as there were done, thousands of witnesses cheered filling the morning with unquestionable liveliness.

As the cheers died down, the sun slowly rose from the eastern skies indicating the day had already begun. She sprung up from her seat, putting on her hoodie. She immediately rushes down the stairs to be met by her friendly robot Err.

"Miss Seraphina, going out again, are you?" it said, handing her a cup of tea.

"Yeah. Its graduation. Might as well collect my certificate."

"I wish you good luck!" with a sharp nod, she slid through the doors ignoring the gazes of the maids who were clearing the garden.

"I heard she's graduating today."

"Her... Graduate? What a piece of garbage. Aren't you required to have abilities to do that?" they mocked behind her back.

With a sigh, she pulled up her hoodie and disappeared into the streets. Everybody knew her. Coming from an entire generation of superhumans said to have evolved yet she... She had managed to become a plain human. A devolution. Zero per cent super genes and 100 per cent human.

No one had believed it, some said she was some kind of alien, and some disapproved and wanted to pass it off as a rare disease. No test, no theory could prove why she didn't have any abilities. The Daughter of the greatest superheroes.

Abilities were the world's current stronghold and without them was nothing. The world had somehow moved to an era of superhumans but no one knew how it came. Theory after theory stated, all humans would have an ability before and at the age of sixteen and that was the so-called law and order of the new earth.

"Well I sure did break that law and order," she muttered to herself with a slight chuckle.

As she walked down the shadows of the tall sky buildings early covering the sun, in her line of sight were sky ships driving above the skies at a tremendous speed. She knew they were headed for her school after all it was graduation. Superhuman high-ranked officers would come over from different academies to pick the students with good abilities and ranks.

"Hello Miss, may I see your ID?" a mini-sized robot said before she could pass the gates.
"I'm a student of this school. Graduating student... why would I need an ID?" she inquired with a hint of suspicion.

Before she could react, a slimy bubble enveloped her covering her into a black bubble. The robot had transformed into a hideous villain also taking as it scared the students away.

"Help!" she screamed, trying to tear away from the hold of the villain. Her eyes glanced around the crowd with pleading eyes, only to be stared back at with nothing but emptiness.

The black slimy bubble grew thicker as if wanting to swallow her whole. She looked around once again, 'So this is how I die huh?' she thought inwardly.

'Peaceful isn't i-' her thought process was cut short when the bubble busted out into pieces freeing her from the grab of the villain.

She immediately turned around to search for the gleaming villain that almost killed her but was met by the appearance of a young dark-skinned woman in a white tailored jacket with gold buttons, and a white cap tipping slightly to the right.

"A villain? In a superhuman school? Talk about the incompetence of superheroes," the woman chuckled deeply, turning her head to face the black slimy creature.

Seraphina could feel the air changing and before she knew it, the creature had exploded into droplets raining down on everyone on the scene. 'What is this power?' her eyes couldn't make out what just happened.

Her eyes caught the glimpse of two persons in the same apparel as the woman who had just saved her from the villain. On the back of their long stride jackets was a symbol of the military which everyone knew and feared.

"Commander Crash." She heard one of them call and the young woman immediately followed.

The crowd around the scene dispersed while Seraphina sat down trying to process what had just happened. Maybe it was the situation she was just in, or how the young woman had defeated a crazy villain in front of her with no effort. She had been told countless things and how she threw off the universe's line of order. "Maybe death is the final option in this case, but... I just don't want to die,' she muttered under her breath.

The ceremony commenced, followed by a long speech by the school board. Collecting the issues was no issue, but leaving immediately after was. The doors of the exit were completely shut off as the presentation by the SHR was about to begin.

One by one, students were called to the middle of the stage to be chosen by the different academies present. Finally, it reached Seraphina's turn and she was called out.

She took slow strides to the middle, ignoring the whispers and stares directed at her. She stared with a blank face at the representatives seated at the top.

"Seraphina Jordans," the principal called out, and not a single academy raised their hands. Time passed by, and the next student was about to be called when a hand was raised.

"Z-zirturiu Military Academy," the principal stuttered as chills ran down his spine. It was no new thing that the military took part in the student selection but this time, a military academy that had never once shown out in the open came.

Military academies were for training superhumans and aliens to fight the universe's common enemy, the Daelaiw.

The news had thrown the hall into total confusion. They couldn't believe that the likes of the world's downgraded specie were accepted into an academy.

Meanwhile, Seraphina stood in shock. She couldn't believe she was chosen by an academy without any power of any sort.

'Is this a miracle?' she thought inwardly.

Vocabulary
Sitizens: super citizens
Super abilities or superpowers: mutations of the body cell into a powerful gene that makes one have abilities.
SHR: Super high-ranked officers
Super gene: powerful gene of superhumans.