He gets into his Porsche and starts the engine, but I slam my hands down on the hood of his car before he can actually drive off.

He rolls down his window with a pissed look on his face. "You did not just slam your hands onto my car," he says.

"I did," I tell him matter-of-factly. "And if you don't tell me where you're going, I'll do way more than just that."

"Don't you have a job to do?" he asks as he keeps one hand on the steering wheel and the other laying across the windowsill. He must realize that he's being rude because he changes his tone almost instantly. "I'm sorry. Just...stay here."

"Just tell me where you're going, dammit."

He looks at me for a few seconds, and I know that he's actually considering it. But then he snaps back to reality. "I'll be back soon, okay?" And when I don't say anything, he asks again, "Okay, Bella?"

"Okay," I finally say.

***

It's been two hours since Nico left, and I can't help but wonder if he forgot that I was here...waiting for him. I'm always waiting for him.

At least I've been busy. I hate to admit it, but it's a good thing that Wendy had me stay here. There's too many people and too much to clean up.

"Bella, have you seen Nico anywhere?" Mr. Bradford approaches me and asks. "People are asking for him. Important people."

"I haven't," I say. Mr. Bradford has always intimidated me. Something about his demeanor is stand-offish.

"Well when you do see him, tell him that I'm very disappointed in him." He begins to walk away, but then stops and turns to me. "Oh, and Isabella...thank you for your help today. Maybe you can teach my son the meaning of hard-work."

That's Mark Bradford for you. Always reminding his son that he's a disappointment. Gillian, on the other hand, would never say something like that to Nico. Now that I'm thinking about it, she was nowhere to be found, which, I guess makes sense if they're talking about a divorce. But, at the same time, Gillian's all about appearances, and this was a major work event.

I don't dwell on the thought for too long because I hear a car pull into the driveway. I make my way to the front of the house and find Nico stepping out of an Uber. I wonder where his Porsche is.

One look at him and I can tell that he's been drinking. His hair is disheveled, his shirt is unbuttoned, and he's smoking a cigarette. Nico doesn't usually smoke, but when he does, there's a reason for it. I hate this side of him, but even that hate is not enough to make me not love him.

"Nico," I say when he comes up to me.

"Bella!" he beams, pushing my hair behind my ears with his fingers. Yup, he's definitely been drinking. I can smell the whiskey.

"Where've you been?"

"Don't worry about it," he trips on his foot and consequently comes closer to me.

"Nico," I shake my head, "you look terrible."

"Well, you look really beautiful," he says in a low tone. The words don't hit me like they should because this isn't Nico talking. This is someone else.

"Your dad was looking for you," I tell him. I'm not sure that bringing up his dad is the smartest move, but I do it anyway.

"Like that asshole gives two shits."

"Nico, what happened?" Something in my tone breaks and I can't help my emotions from getting the best of me. I see the hurt in Nico's eyes, and that in turn, hurts me.

"I don't want to talk about it," he states, rolling his eyes. They're so dark that I almost don't recognize their beauty.

Fortunately, the party has pretty much cleared out and Mr. Bradford is nowhere to be found. The last thing that I want is for his father to see him like this, which is why I propose, "Let's go for a walk."

He looks at me with a pained expression. "I thought you hated me."

"I couldn't hate you even if I wanted to," I whisper, but with the way that he's looking at me right now, it's like he doesn't believe me.