19: computer auctions

Start from the beginning

"They said it, not me," Tristan said with a smile.

Josh rolled his eyes, looking back over at Cassie. It's her fault. She's the one making him act fluttery. Now his friends knew it.

"What?" Tristan turned around in his seat, raising his eyebrows when he realized who his best friend was looking at. "Dude," Tristan laughed.

"Shut up," Josh took a bite from his apple, hoping that the guys would just start a new conversation.

"Why don't you just ask her out?" One of the guys sitting farther down the table asked.

"We're just friends," Josh told him.

"Friends?" Tristan scoffed. "You're just friends with the girl you keep staring at and can't stop talking about?"

"You brought her up," Josh reminded him.

"Just ask her out man."

"If you don't I will," Adam Olsen informed the group, causing Josh to send a glare in his direction.

"You aren't good enough for her Olsen," Tristan told the boy next to him. "She has standards."

"Well you can't have them both Tristan, and if Dawson is too chicken to ask her out that leaves an opening," Adam explained.

"She'll never go out with you man," Tristan told him, but Adam didn't care what Tristan said.

"I could be her date to the formal, since no one has asked her yet," He added, sending a pointed look in Josh's direction.

Josh didn't say anything in response. He couldn't let them think that he actually liked her. He barely knew her. There is no possible way he could like her this much already. Did he find her attractive? Of course he did. Did he want to get to know her more? Yeah, he did. But did he want his friends to know that? Not really.

"You want her, go ahead. Any of you, take your shot," Josh told them, trying to act like he didn't give a care in the world.

"All right." Adam's head immediately tilted to the side. Josh assumed that Adam would forget about it and he'd stop thinking about Cassie the second a new conversation started. But that's not what happened. Adam stood up from his chair, grabbing his backpack before he walked over to Cassie's table.

Josh couldn't help but let his eyes widen. Tristan immediately gave Josh a 'what the hell did you do that for' look, but Josh was too busy watching Adam and Cassie to pay attention to his best friend.

He watched as Sophie tried to get him to leave while Rory actually started paying attention to the conversation. Cassie had a confused look on her face, as she listened to what Adam had to say.

She asked him something and Josh wished he could hear what she said. Adam hesitated before giving his answer but when he did the three girls turned to Josh's table at the same time. Everyone at that table had to turn away, pretending like they weren't watching what was going on.

"That was subtle," Tristan muttered, trying to play off one of the most awkward things he's ever done.

When Josh looked back over he saw Cassie shake her head before grabbing her backpack and leaving the lunch hall, alone. Sophie had a proud look on her face while Rory looked wildly entertained. Adam, however, looked like he just got punched in the stomach.

"Dude."

"What?" Josh snapped, turning to Tristan.

"Go!" Tristan yelled at him, gesturing towards the door that Cassie had walked out of a couple seconds ago.

Josh quickly got out of his seat, grabbing his backpack as she quickly maneuvered his way out the door. He searched the hallways for any sign of the Gilmore Girl but he couldn't find her. He started to think that maybe she ducked in a classroom or even the bathroom to avoid anyone who might be looking for her. Josh slowly continued down the hall, his eyes still scanning for the Gilmore Girl.