That's how it started. They just escaped, their plan was to separate.
Knowing that Charlie's distrust would push her away from them, they took the opportunity to follow Afton.
He really wanted to attack him, wanted to kill him, but there was no chance. Either they attacked from behind, or there would be no chance.
The first attempt was in that park, but he realized it by raising his guard, impossible.
He obeyed his orders not to raise suspicions, killed the children and chased the last one.
Tortured the human long enough until Ballora told them that Afton was nearby, she could hear him, so he killed the boy when Afton arrived.

"Why did it take you so long to kill him?"

He asked the rabbit, clearly annoyed.

"That was more fun"

A valid excuse, enough to enrage the opponent and start fighting.
Again Afton was victorious, but not by much.
His plan to riddle him with the cables was shattered when the woman's scream alerted them.

"Let's kill her"

Ballora added quietly, so they went after her with Afton.

It was so complicated, he tried so many times, to attack him from behind.
But Elizabeth was always there, there was always someone there messing everything up.
It surprises them when Lefty announces the Pizzaplex.
Perfect!

When they arrived, Afton did not hesitate to separate from the group.
Molten wasted no time in entering through some vent, leaving both girls behind, he wanted them out of his sight.
He searched and stalked him, tirelessly, and when he finally found him, that boy interrupted.
William wanted the infant, so Freddy didn't ramble.

"You want him too, right?"

He tempted him, Molten knew he wouldn't resist a potential victim.

"DO NOT... COME CLOSE... TO MY VICTIMS."

Afton shout, reward, they did it, they pissed off the rabbit.
Now they knew what he wanted. When the assassin retreated in search of the human, they hid, waiting to stalk him.
He watched him in the shadows, following him with his magnetoreception or his thermoreception.
Until he walked into an security office, perfect time to lock him up and attack.
Regardless of whether Vanessa was there or not, they were launched to kill and finish him, to reclaim the power, to gain the victory that would make them stronger.

But they failed.

They didn't understand how, Afton was always faster, stronger and more agile.
He dodged them all, he handled them perfectly. No matter how much they attacked or how violent they were, he was always more so.

They were frustrated, angry. They wanted revenge, they wanted power.
Beat him once and for all, so that no one could stand up to them.
They forgot about Elizabeth and Charlie, to focus solely on William.
He was the only real target now.

But, the surprise they got when they found out that Afton was gone.
He left the center, with that pathetic night watch.
Now, with no one to stop them, without a rival to defeat them.
There was no longer any impediment.
They split up, ready to create chaos under their cables...

- S-Surprise! - Exclaimed the bear opening his face plates.

Monty jumped to his feet, putting himself on guard against the bear.
The lizard focused his gaze on the intruder, he couldn't fight properly after the bullet he received from the killer rabbit.