Chapter 11 (1/3): Truth or Lie? Tkese's Offer (1/2)

Amidst the rumbling of yolk-colored reloading excavators, greenish smoke clouds diffused across a small corner of the Nube City landfill. Enormous amounts of waste formed mountains that cloaked everything below under its smelly shadow. A flurry of white wings descended upon the heaps of trash as seagulls scanned for food amongst the garbage. Mattresses, cardboard boxes, and soiled clothing were a few of the items that stood out in the mass of mess.

Pulling the left side of his parka jacket over his nose, Tkese swiftly sweeped his surroundings. Only mountains of garbage were visible. Rancid smells besieged his jacket in hopes of reaching his nostrils. Loud shrills from the winged-rats above pounded his eardrums. The Fog was miserable.

Tkese grimaced with every step that sunk the soles of his shoes into the gooey earth. Bulldozers and front loaders roared in the distance as he walked. Waste Management employees operated the massive vehicles sporting their hard hats, safety glasses, and orange reflective vests. Envy caused the Fog to tighten the grip on his jacket as he noticed their sturdy work boots. His outfit was ill-suited for his current location.

Nevertheless, Tkese remained faithful to his plan. He spent the entire week scoping out the landfill and the adjacent Waste Management facility. He was familiar with every inch of the sixty-thousand square foot site. He was familiar with every foot of the one-thousand acre landfill. Circling around a hill of discarded objects, the Fog recalled the number of workers, machines, and emergency exits. All of his preparation culminated into this fateful Friday.

There was still one final piece of his plan missing and he couldn't afford to delay it any longer. Half of his lip curved upwards in a sinister smile. Shallow and murky green water formed a swamp at the outer edge of the landfill. Within the brackish water, a lumpy figure swam backstrokes. Its long stick-thin arms and thinner legs with webbed-feet splashed dirty water in all directions. It sang a frivolous tune and kept its eyes sealed shut.

Tkese stood a safe distance away from the splashes of water. Pulling the side of his jacket away from his nose, he studied the hideous figure before him. Missing a neck, the figure's face was slapped onto its barrel-shaped abdomen. It reminded Tkese of a bumble-bee. Large body. Tiny limbs. Yet, horrifyingly nimble.

"I know you've been avoiding me," said Tkese.

The singing ceased. Two bulging eyes pushed away its lids. Bubbles replaced the figure's lumpy form as it sunk into the water.

Tkese's eyebrows slanted downwards like sharpening blades. His body vanished within a green mist. In seconds, he re-emerged on the other side of the swamp as half the figure's body floated above the earth.

"Listen," started Tkese, gripping the figure's shoulder, "I've allowed you to foolishly believe that you've successfully evaded me all week. Monday. I let you get away."

He pulled the lumpy body out of the ground, "Tuesday. I let you get away."

Its body was completely unearthed, but Tkese lifted it higher.

"Wednesday. I let you get away," said Tkese, his irritation becoming more obvious as he continued, "Thursday. I let you get away."

The figure's legs dangled in the air. It was a tiny being. Only three feet tall.

Tkese raised the globular shaped creature until their eyes met.

"Today. You're mine."

Sine waves danced across the figure's mouth as its bulging eyes shrank in fear.

"Tkese!" it croaked with exaggerated exultance, "Old friend! Why are you here? I mean, how have you been... pal?"

The Fog lowered its eyes before dropping the figure. It smacked the ground like a sack of dirty laundry. Seagulls flew overhead announcing their presence.