CHAPTER 33

A ringing in Denzyl's ears woke the demon. Denzyl looked around to find himself lying next to Devyn who was unconscious. The demon quickly placed his fingers on Devyn's neck and checked for a heartbeat. Denzyl released a breath of relief as he felt a steady pulse and stood to his knees as he surveyed his surroundings. A moan sounded from a spot twenty feet to the demon's right. Denzyl looked to see Kilo sit up and rub the back of his head where the demons had rendered him unconscious.

Denzyl brought Devyn's head to rest in his lap as Kilo's head snapped up and swiveled around in desperate search of the one who was no longer present. Denzyl concluded that Castyr had been taken by Hades when he saw Kilo's face fall. Tears moistened the angel's eyes as he hung his head. Denzyl watched, though, as Kilo lifted his head back up and looked around before releasing a deep breath. He seemed relieved.

The demon observed Kilo as a smile came to the angel's lips. He must be talking with his star. Denzyl turned his focus to the man in his lap as the angel conversed with his star.

Kilo's heart raced as Castyr's voice sounded in his head. Kilo, are you awake now?

Where are you? Are you alright? The angel responded as he inquired about his star.

I'm fine. Aklys is making sure I don't die. He shoved some painkillers down my throat. He's an odd demon.

Don't worry. I'll find you. We have the link.

Yaaaaaaa. Why do you think I had us connect in the first place? It was in case something like this happened.

Mmm. My smart star. I love you, Castyr.

I love you, too, Kilo, but you better hurry your butt up. I don't want to have all my light drained out of me when I am only a hundred-and-sixty-four! I am too young to die. Plus, I still have a whole list of places I want to visit.

Don't worry. We will go to all of them. I promise.

Okay. Good. A small pause followed before Castyr said, Aklys is giving me funny looks. He might be wondering why I am smiling after I have just been captured. I gotta go.

Stay safe, Love.

I love you!

I love you, Castyr. Kilo let out a sigh as the star withdrew from his mind. The star's presence was still there, but it was not as strong as when the two were conversing. Kilo's heart pinged with pain as he saw Devyn unconscious in Denzyl's lap. The star stood to his feet and walked over to the demon and human.

"Will Castyr be alright?" Denzyl inquired of the angel when Kilo reached him

Kilo's voice was firm as he answered, "I'll find him. Even if I have to burn all of Hades, I will find him."

A short nod came from Denzyl as the demon approved of the angel's valor and determination to find his star. Denzyl's attention was immediately drawn to the human in his lap as a small moan came from Devyn. The human's green eyes snapped open when he became conscious, and he hurriedly sat up and looked around.

"Oh no! Castyr! He was-" Devyn's voice was frantic as he searched for the star.

"Don't worry. We'll find him," Denzyl assured the human softly as he rubbed Devyn's lower back.

The human looked up at the demon and nodded. "Okay." Devyn calmed himself and regained his composure. Being frantic would change nothing, and Devyn trusted Denzyl when the demon said they would find Castyr.

Denzyl helped Devyn to his feet and interlaced their fingers as a blue flash suddenly blinded the three. The angel, demon, and human covered their eyes as the flash pulsed from a spot roughly ten yards in front of them. A growl left the demon's throat as his eyes flashed red. "What is it now?" Denzyl snarled as he stepped in front of the human. The irritation and willingness to kill to protect Devyn were evident in the demon's voice. All Denzyl wanted was to be with Devyn somewhere safe and warm. This was definitely not how the demon had imagined his day to go.