chapter 7

I prepared to run but he reached out and grabbed my arm.

            “Please,” I begged.  “Please don’t tell the police.  Please!”  I was almost in tears know, but I refused to humiliate myself while at the mercy of this boy.  If I had a chance I could probably out run him, but that would cause a distraction therefore attracting the attention on the police.  Plus, there was truly no escape from this boy.  His bulging muscles layered on his arms let me know I stood no chance against his strength. 

            All I could do was press myself up tight against the wall and squeeze my eyes shut, bracing myself for what was too come.

            But nothing ever came.  Eventually I peered through my eye lashes at the mysterious beggar boy.  He was dressed in rags yet, he was quite….handsome.  I had never really gotten to see any other boys to compare, but I was certain by his sharp jaw, smooth dark skin, and wavy black hair, that he was indeed handsome.

            I took in a deep breath, staring at him.  He noticed me staring and he smirked.  I looked away, cheeks hot and most certainly red. 

            “Who are you?” the boy asked quietly. 

            “Ummm,” I said, not wanting to reveal anything.

            “Well, I guess you don’t have to tell me.”

            Hmm, he looked about my age…

            “But may I at least have the pleasure of knowing why you, a girl, are out here un escorted in a boy’s clothes?”

            I sighed, “I suppose…”

            “Well…?”  He prompted.

            I sighed again, “Well, in short, I wasn’t able to go outside because my brother got married and I was practically going insane and….” Barely taking a breath as the words rushed out of my mouth.  But he, the boy, stopped me.  He put his finger to my lips.

            “You…you..touched me.”  I whispered in surprise.  This was definitely not legal.

            “Shhh,” was all he answered.  “Shhh.”

            We stood there, staring at each other.  I was in shock.  The boy smiled at me, tipped his cap, and slowly strolled away, leaving me.  I ran after him.  I tapped him on the shoulder, “May I please have my cap back?  I won’t be able to go home without it.”

            He looked down at my brother’s cap in his hands and looked up at me with a genuine smile on his face.  He nodded and handed it to me, still smiling.  I smiled back as I took it.  It had been so long since the last time I smiled!  It felt so good!

            But I couldn’t stay there much longer, because mother or father might notice my absence.  So, I tucked my hair into my cap, and proceeded home with a huge smile on my face.