chapter 2

It took days of relentless begging to for me to get Rafi to finally agree to read the song sheets for me.  But he told me that he would not do this for me again, because it was extremely risky.

            From that day forward, as I would lie awake in bed whispering the beautiful words to myself:  Through times of trouble, hope will be there for you.  Peace will overcome you.  I will be there for you.  Though I didn't know who the writer of the song was, I was still comforted. 

            Then the horrible, dreadful news that ruined my life came.  When he came to me he could barely speak.  He had dark, sagging bags under his eyes, like he had been up all night thinking about his predicament.

            "Layla," he began, "we have a situation.  Mother and Father have arranged my marriage."  He peered out at me from under his dark hair, searching my face for a reaction.

            I stood there, shocked, a statue.  Then, I turned on my heels and fled up to my room and stayed there for hours crying.  I would not come out for mealtime or prayers.  No one could make me.

            Finally I rose off my bed and wiped away my tears.  I was acting so weak.  Here I was weeping over the loss of my brother when I could be doing something about it!  I was just a stupid, idiotic girl.  I flew down the stairs to the living room where my parents were.  Hands on my hips I demanded to know why they hated me.

            "Hush, daughter, your statement is incorrect," My father said to me, peering over the top of his book. 

            "Layla, you are acting like a child, whining like this," My mother scolded.  "You know better than to go against our actions."

            "But Mother!  You don't understand.  You can't choose for someone who they are to marry!  They need to love each other.  Anyways, think of what it will do to me, not only Rafi.  He's my only ticket outside!"

            "You selfish child!  I had better not have to rest my eyes upon you for the rest of the evening.  You are a disgrace!  I shall be happy to be rid of you when you are married off!"  My mother shouted back at me.

            "Ladies, ladies!  Let us not speak so ill of each other!"  My father tried to console us.  He usually seemed to be put into the role of peace maker when my mother and I fought, which was only occasionally fore I wasn't usually so bold as to speak against my parents.

            I crossed my arms and sulked, lower lip puffed out in a pout as I walked towards the stairs again.  As I was just about to start my climb back up to my room I caught Rafi's eye as he looked discreetly over his book at me.  I motioned him to follow me. 

            After I had reached my room, I listened for the soft creaks and groans that the stairs made when Rafi climbed up after me.  He came into my room and quietly and gently closed my door behind him.  He sat down on the bed beside me and hugged me, and I hugged him back.  Finally we released each other.

            "So who are you marrying?" I asked him quietly, avoiding his gaze. 

            "Mica, she's a year older than you."

            I knew exactly who he was talking about.  She and I weren't close, but we would hang out every once and a while. 

            "It will be odd having her live here."  It was tradition for the wife to move in with her husband's family to take care of the man's parents as they aged.  This was why people often wanted sons and not daughters.

            "Oh, I forgot to tell you.  I won't be staying here."   

            "What?!"  I exclaimed in disbelief.

            "As you know Father and Mica's father go back a ways.  Mica's mother is ill so she is needed around the house.  I will be going to live with them until her mother is well again.  Then we will move in back here."

            While Rafi had been talking, I had been doing my best to keep my composure and fight the tears that were welling up in my eyes, but I couldn't any longer.  I completely broke down.  Rafi just held me close to him, even while I soiled his shirt with my tears.

            "I love you, Layla."

            I looked up at him, my face wet and splotchy.  "I love you too, Rafi."