Stepping Up, Chapter 59

Tibs stood among the supplicants—Peolo had called them—in the uncomfortable clothing that had been provided. A shirt and pants of rough fabric, and hard leather sandals that did nothing to protect his feet. He pointed that out to the cleric who smiled and said Tibs wasn't going to the section of the dungeon where the fighting took place.

No one looked at him, or each other, as they were led to the dungeon's entrance. Unlike Sto, this entrance was at ground level, in the sloped face of the mountain, the corridor stretching out in white marble veined with gold and silver.

"Oh," a female voice said excitedly once Tibs was within knife-throwing distance of the opening. "The next group's here! Craren, you have to come see..." she trailed off. "Craren, get yourself here. What's with that one?"

Tibs fought the urge to look around for the unseen voice. He hadn't expected to hear this dungeon. He and Sto were good friends. Had considered him so even before Tibs could hear him. He'd thought that had been the reason he could hear him and Ganny. If he could hear this dungeon also, could he hear others?

"Hun?" another unseen voice said, sounding like she was approaching. "What is it?" she said, bored, "a rogue? Okay, we don't see a lot of those."

Tibs frowned. How did she know he was a rogue?

"Not that, look." The dungeon said.

"I'm looking, Val."

"You're looking," Val replied dismissively. "But I need you to Look."

"I'm—what's that?" was that fear in her voice? "What in Purity's light is that?"

"I'm wondering the same thing. You ever seen someone with more than one element? Did we ever have one come in? Your memory's better than mine."

"No, we haven't. And I've never seen one. That's not possible. Why is he here?" Craren sounded more concerned than afraid now.

"How would I know."

"Keep him out," Craren stated. "Whatever he is, it can't be good."

"Okay, how do I do that? If I close my doors, it's going to raise questions, it's been what... a long time since I've done that? And I can't just keep him out, look where he is. If I close the door just before him, I'm going to crush those in front."

Tibs forced himself to ignore the dungeon and her assistant as they stopped and a man stepped before the entrance. He wished that, like his ability to sense the surrounding essence, he could stop hearing them.

"Welcome supplicants." The man's voice carried over the crowd of five and zero people—Peolo had told him how many were entering with him.

"He's after Purity," Craren said excitedly. "Look, he has seven of the elements, that the one he's missing."

"I'm not giving it to him."

Tibs closed his eyes and wished they'd be quiet. He needed to listen to the instructions.

"Today, you are embarking on a journey that will last you a lifetime. Those of you who return with your element will become the guardians of our world. Through your swords, your bows, your halberds, your shields, and your dedication, you will keep corruption and chaos from gaining a foothold. You will fight them back where they try to enter. You will protect your brothers and sisters in your element as they go about healing the damage that has already been caused. And when you fall, even if it is today, you will do so knowing that your hard work has made the words safer to those who don't have the privilege of serving Purity."

"To serve is to be Pure," Tibs chanted with the crowd, although he was out of step. The girl on his left glanced at him before looking ahead. Peolo had taught him the responses, but he didn't have years of practice giving it.