"I'm not forcing anyone- We are not better off disbanding-"

"All of the members have brought up the thought. You've always just brushed it off and dismissed it as a joke."

I couldn't retort to that.

"It's because of him, isn't it? That you changed the lyrics." Kyotani ground out.

I scoffed at his assumption. "No. I'll change my lyrics anytime I see fit."

An awkward pause ensued and the sound of drumsticks clicking together filled the air as Kyotani put them in his bag.

"You know he doesn't swing that way. Give it up. Before you sink so deep you can't pull yourself back out."

His words weren't convincing at all. There was no emotion in them.

"Maybe he's bi. Or pan."

"Do you hear yourself right now? You're spewing nonsense! He came out half a year ago as explicitly gay!"

I finally turned around to Kyotani's increasingly loud voice. "What do you care? We'll just be . . . friends, then."

He pinched the bridge of his nose in annoyance. "Change the lyrics back."

"Why would I?"

"So you can hurry the fuck up and get over him."

"I am over him."

"Oh yeah? So you decided to change the lyrics of your love song to fit his description? 'Dark brown and olive green'? I want to gag."

"Why do you care so much?"

"Because-"

"Are you interested in me?" I stalked over to Kyotani, just stopping short in front of his drumset. "Is that why you're so pissy?"

"What-"

"Aw, does it hurt your little delicate heart to see me pine over another man?" I pouted, mocking him in an insufferable baby voice.

"No. I pity you."

I reeled back from his harsh tone.

Nodding slightly, I plastered on a smile. "Well, pity me all you want. Won't change shit."

Whirling around, I walked out of the studio and slammed the door on my way out.

"Wait, no. Fuck! Come back! I didn't mean it like that!" Rushing out of the studio, Kyotani grabbed my wrist and yanked me back.

"How else could you have meant it?!"

It was his turn to reel back. "Are you . . . crying?"

"Fuck no." I wiped my face with my sleeves.

Kyotani let out a frustrated sigh. "Look, all I'm saying is that there is plenty of fish in the sea. Most of them better than fucking Iwaizumi."

He glimpsed my unamused face.

"Fuck, I'm shit at this. I don't know how to be reassuring."

I snorted.

"Just . . . let's just go home. Sleep it off. It's getting late."

I pulled my phone out to check the time. "Shit."

"What?"

"The latest bus left. No more are coming that go where I live."

"Just hail a taxi."

I stared at Kyotani. "You paying?"

"Or walk." He shrugged.