Ukai (contd.)

"And then a right at the end of this lane."

Ukai pulled to a stop in front of my house, turning off the ignition and clearing his throat.

"Um...a-about tonight-"

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone. Besides, it was just a one-time thing, right?" I smiled, opening the passenger door and jumping out.

"A one-time thing?" Ukai frowned.

"Yeah! I'll see you tomorrow!" Waving goodbye, I slammed the car door shut and jogged the steps up to my house, quickly slipping inside before peeking through the curtains at Ukai's car.

He was running a hand through his messy hair and drumming his fingers on the steering wheel, wearing an agitated expression. He sat in the car for a few more beats before peeling away, leaving the street empty.

I dropped onto the living room couch and raised a shaky hand to my face, chuckling humorlessly as I replayed the events of the past hour in my head. I wasn't stupid. There was no way this was going to continue. What are we going to become? Boyfriend and girlfriend? Don't be naive. Fuck buddies? Knowing me, I'd get attached.

I sighed as I got up and headed to the bathroom for a shower. Every droplet of water running down in rivulets on my skin felt like his dragging touch, the surrounding heat of the shower felt like his hot breath enveloping me. In my mind, I could even hear his moans, his breathlessness when chanting my name. Frustrated, I turned the shower to its coldest setting, attempting to forget about my feelings by focusing instead on the icy sting of the water.

***the next day***

"Achoo!" I sniffed, grabbing a tissue from Yachi's desk and blowing my nose.

"Did you catch a cold? Why don't you head to the nurse's office if you don't feel so good?" She whispered.

"I'm fine. Allergies." I lied, smiling weakly at Yachi before jotting down the notes our teacher wrote on the blackboard.

Before long, the bell rung, signaling the end of school. I grabbed the mound of soggy tissues on my desk and threw them in the trashcan, washing my hand right after.

"Eugh. Now I kind of regret the cold shower."

"Hey! Want to go to volleyball practice?"

"Huh?" I looked up to see the energetic tangerine, Hinata, running over with the other black-haired third year, Kageyama. "Oh, n-no! I think I'll pass today..."

"Aw, why? You said you would tutor us, right? We can schedule some tutoring sessions!"

Ah...I did say that. Plus, I don't want to go home just yet...

"Alright. Just for a little while, though." I'll have to avoid and ignore Ukai.

"My name is Hinata Shoyo, and this intense guy here is Kageyama Tobio. My worst subject is English, and Kageyama's is modern Japanese literature."

"Idiot. My worst subject is still better than your worst subject."

"Is not. You got a 32 last time. I got a 40."

I laughed at their bantering exchange as we made our way to the gym.

"Oh, Yachi! You're already here." I waved at my new friend as the bickering duo and I set our school bags down under the gymnasium stage.

"Did they call you over?"

"Yeah. They wanted to talk over the tutoring thing." I coughed.

"Are you sure? You should go home early, you don't sound too great."