Ukai

"Where is it?" I mumbled under my breath, eyes scouring the shelves for my all-time favorite snack, strawberry pockys. "Do they not have it?" I walked over to the clerk with his newspaper spread wide, one leg propped on top of the other. He looked to be around his early twenties, had long blonde hair kept back by an elastic, various piercings on his left ear, and a smoking addiction.

Blargh.

"Excuse me? Do you guys sell strawberry pockys?" I politely inquired, all the while holding my breath.

"Oh, sorry. I guess they're all sold out if you can't find any." The guy said in a dismissive tone, taking a drag and not even bothering to look up at me. Way to run a store.

I sighed and walked out into the cool winter air, hitching my backpack over my shoulders. Today was my first day at a new high school, Karasuno High. It was uncommon for a senior to transfer in the second semester, but...ah...unprecedented family troubles are also very uncommon. I had walked past this convenience store on my way to school and wanted to buy some snacks to gnaw away my anxious feelings.

I wonder what Karasuno is like. Certainly not like being homeschooled. I chewed on the skin around my nails, and before I knew it, my feet had led me to the front gates of Karasuno High. So this is what it's like. I looked around the bustling place, brimming with students arriving on foot, by bike, or carpooling. They all wore the same style uniforms, and I stuck out like a sore thumb in my casual wear. Because of my sudden transfer, I didn't have time to buy the uniforms or any of the required materials for school first, so everything would have to be sorted out when I came to school.

The first bell signaling the start of a school day rung, and I lengthened my steps, hurrying over to the admissions office.

"Hi, I'm new here..." I greeted the lady at the front desk.

"Oh! Yes, of course. We've been expecting you! Here is your uniform in the size that you wanted. You can change in the bathrooms. Since you did exceptional on the proficiency assessment, you'll be placed in an advanced class, which is class 5! I'll have a classmate show you around."

"Hi! My name is Yachi, and I'll be showing you around our class and the school." A petite girl with short blonde hair smiled.

"Hi! Thank you so much!"

"No problem!" We took the first two periods off and Yachi showed me around the school. It wasn't what I'd expected. From what my mom told me, high school was a rowdy place filled with stinky boys, strict rules, and weird-smelling bathrooms. Someone must've had an unpleasant high school experience; because from what I'm learning from Yachi, Karasuno boasted a variety of clubs and extracurriculars, sufficient resources, and relatively clean bathrooms.

"So why did you decide to start coming to school the second semester of senior year?" Yachi asked.

I gave her the watered down version of my story, as the whole story from beginning to end would've taken too long to explain. After that, we chatted openly about anything and everything, immediately hitting it off with our shared love for fugashi. I ended up sitting behind her in class and continued chatting about the future and what colleges we wanted to attend over lunch. Overall, it was a very pleasant first day, and it seemed like I had already made a friend.

"Want to come to volleyball practice with me?"

"You play volleyball?!" I would have never guessed, considering her small and petite frame.

"Oh! No! I'm only the manager!" Yachi laughed.

"Ohh! Okay, sure!" I agreed and we walked towards the gym.

"Hey guys!"

"Yachi-san!" A very hyper boy with a wild head of orange hair greeted. "Oh? Who's this? Is she going to be the new manager?" At this, three other boys walked over, a tall lanky blonde with glasses, another tall guy but with green hair, and another tall guy but with black hair. It is volleyball, after all. A sport reliant on height.