Kyotani

"Why'd you change the lyrics?"

Snapping my back straight, I whipped around to see our drummer walk up to me as I slung my guitar over my shoulder.

"What did you say?"

"I asked you; why did you change the lyrics?" Tapping his drumsticks on his thigh irritably, Kyotani emphasized each word aggressively as he confronted me.

"What lyrics? The song hasn't even been finalized yet," I scoffed a bit, confused as to why he was getting so worked up.

"It was always 'your' before. Now it's 'his'?"

I narrowed my eyes. "Is there a problem?"

Staring at me incredulously, Kyotani drew his lips into his mouth and brought a hand up to rub the back of his neck. "No. No, not at all." Turning away, he started packing up his equipment.

Weird.

"Why are you so agitated by a simple lyric change? It's my song."

"Who said I was agitated?"

"Your tone. Your body language. Your facial expressions. The way-"

"Don't read me."

"I'm not. You just make it painfully obvious."

"Weirdo."

"I'm not the one who got all pissy over a word change."

Drumsticks clattered noisily onto the floor as Kyotani shot up from his seat to face me.

"What? Are you going to yell at me? Insult me? Degrade me just because?" I gripped the strap of my guitar case.

"Shut your mouth-"

"Or what?" Inhaling in a sharp breath, I snapped. "You know, the whole band has been on pins and needles lately. Practices are tense and awkward, we're barely in sync, and Iwaizumi almost quit."

"What are you getting at?"

"What am I getting at?" I let out a sarcastic snort. "This whole thing is your fault. You need to get your shit together, play the drums properly, and stop picking fights with the band members every fucking second."

Each word was emphasized by a finger jab in Kyotani's chest.

Grabbing my hand, he flung it away. "They can't play for shit."

"And you can?!" At this point, the edges of my vision were bleeding in red. "I got you in this band and I can kick you out. Don't think for a second I can't replace you."

Turning on the balls of my feet, I stormed towards the exit.

"You look really desperate right now, you know that, right?" In place of Kyotani's usual aggressive growl was a cool, monotone voice.

Braking midway, my fists clenched tighter. "What?"

"This whole act. It's fucking fake." Laughing humorlessly, Kyotani picked his drumsticks up and sat down. "You don't care about the band. You don't care about the song. You don't care about your bandmates. Well, except for maybe Iwaizumi."

My eyes twitched.

I stayed silent, Converse shoes rooted to the ground and the back of my corduroy jacket facing Kyotani.

"You'll grasp at any chance of interacting with him, so much so that you dragged Oikawa into this whole shitshow. How long has this been going on? Almost a year? And did you make any progress?"

"You have no right-"

"No right to what?" Kyotani's low voice interrupted me. "Point out how you're forcing us to stay together even though we're better off disbanding?"