"It's not a matter of if you want our child to have autism or not. I'm sure no one wants their kid to go through the struggles of constantly being reminded of how different they are. The only concern we're allowed to have right now is the health of our child," she said stubbornly.

Silence filled the room after her outburst. Adrik read up on pregnant women to the pinnacle, he was already aware of the constant mood swings just waiting to occur.

Then, she sighed. There was resignation that hung on her face as she leaned back down on the bed to look up at the ceiling.

"I'm sorry. You have every right to have doubts—it's normal. My question is why don't you want our child to have autism?" she asked a lot less hostile than before.

"I am... afraid," he answered, grasping Avelina's attention again. It wasn't often that he expressed his emotions.

"The... baby would have to live their life in the same way I had to. I am afraid the baby will fail at finding someone like you," he answered, making sure not to say fetus so he wouldn't upset Avelina.

"What do you mean by that?" she asked, already knowing exactly what he meant but just wanting to hear him say the words.

"Other than us, who is going to love the baby, Avelina?" he questioned.

She looked down at her fingers.

All he wanted his entire life was to feel understood. He craved love and intimacy, knowing that both would be two of the most difficult things in the world for him. He needed communication, but for some reason, his words never held value to anyone. It was like he was locked in a glass box his entire life, always looking out, but never being seen... until Avelina.

With a key, she opened the box and let him out. With little words, he communicated his every thought and she understood him with no assistance. She gave him love and intimacy and made it two of the most easiest things in the world. He was free, and he was seen.

The thought of bringing someone into the world and trapping them forever would never satisfy his broken heart. Knowing that maybe an Avelina will never come along, and let them out of that glass box killed him inside. They would never understand true love and intimacy. They would never be able to communicate, and never be seen. It would all be Adrik's fault, and that burden was far too much to carry.

"I don't know," she whispered.

It was like reality sunk in. She got up from the table and slid her large shirt back down to cover her baby bump. Adrik watched her slide on her pair of sandals and walk past him.

He didn't hesitate to follow her. She only continued to walk to the back door where she slid the door open and stepped out.

"Avelina," Adrik called, stepping outside with her. He closed the door behind the two of them and followed her to the beach.

"What?" she asked, stopping to turn around.

"I wish for our relationship to return to how it was before—"

"Before you picked Natasha over me? Before you left your pregnant girlfriend in the lobby of your office and discarded her like trash? Before you let your sister trick me and spy on me? Before you kidnapped me? Before, what exactly, Adrik?" she snapped.

"Yes," he answered.

"I don't want a relationship with you," she told him, turning back around to go to the beach. Adrik was quick to grab onto her arm.

"I want a relationship with you," he told her.

Her eyes began to water as she looked at him. "Don't... just don't."

"Your brother made me choose between my sister's life or my relationship with you. It made my heart hurt to leave you in my lobby, but I was did not want my sister to die. I did not want anyone to die, Avelina. I never sent Natasha to spy on you. I am not completely sure what you meant by that question," Adrik explained.

Avelina continued to gaze at him. The wind was whisking through her dark hair and the sunset was reflecting itself onto her eyes as she scrunched them in the cutest way to block out some of the sun.

"Why would he do that?" she asked. Adrik's brows scrunched together in confusion.

"My brother... why would he make you choose between her life and our relationship?" she clarified.

"To prove a point. He said, 'My sister is naïve, and she believes that you actually love her. I keep telling her and telling her that you're a Zolotov. When does the Zolotov's ever love anyone but themselves?'" Adrik answered.

"Is it true? All that you love is yourself?" she asked.

"I love you," he told her.

"Stop," she muttered, a tear falling from her face.

She pried her arm from his hold and turned to walk away again.

"I'm going to the ocean. I need time to clear my mind for a bit," she said, leaving Adrik there alone.

Instagram: amarieauthor
Twitter: amarieauthor
Tiktok: amarieauthor
Facebook: authoramarie
Website: amarieauthor.carrd.co

You can now read chapters 16-17 on my Patreon right now! You can skip out on the wait! The link is in my description or go to https://patreon.com/eroticmarie

Thank you for reading. Please vote!