𝟎𝟓 | 𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐝 friendships

"She knew she was really sad when she stopped loving the things she loved." —Atticus

THE LOUD SOUND of droplets smacking the building, sidewalks, and busy streets was all Avelina could focus on

THE LOUD SOUND of droplets smacking the building, sidewalks, and busy streets was all Avelina could focus on. The clouds were opaque and hanging over her, covering up the sun. She gazed up for a moment, feeling the water droplets drip onto her skin.

Avelina bought herself a big jacket to cover her figure as she walked down the street.

Miss Paola sent Avelina to the local food market to grab a few things for their special dinner tonight. She also expressed how important it was for Avelina to be getting exercise.

Avelina sighed. She could feel the darkness opening its arms to swallow her whole. She tried to get in contact with the new owner of HomeCare, but he never answered. Her heart broke at just about everything he could have discovered about her.

Once she made it to the market, she noticed a man who sat on the sidewalk. His shirt was ripped up and dirty. He tried his best to cover away from the rain, but it still managed to make him soaked and shivering.

Avelina casually walked over to him. She grabbed both sides of her jacket before taking it off. The man watched her as she placed it on top of him.

"I'll bring you something from in the market, okay?" she questioned.

"I-I can't take this," he began to take the jacket off, but she shook her head. His eyes landed on her swollen belly as guilt trickled in.

"It's fine! I have plenty more, I promise," Avelina reassured him. She didn't wait to hear him say anything else before heading into the market.

Miss Paola wanted her to get enough food to make some beef stew. It had been so long since she last ate beef stew, and she almost couldn't remember what went in it.

Pulling out her phone to google a recipe, she accidentally bumped into someone. Her phone fell to the ground, and what was already a cracked screen, was now a shattered device. Avelina didn't need to pick up her phone to know that it was broken.

"God! I'm so sorry!" A familiar voice exclaimed. Avelina peered up to see the same red-head that drove her home the other day.

"It's fine," Avelina muttered. She tried to bend down to pick it up, but her big belly blocked the way. A loud sigh moved past her lips.

"Here, I got it," Lucia said, bending down and grabbing the phone. Avelina grimaced as she stated at it. The phone was definitely a goner.

"I'm sorry," Lucia repeated, handing the phone to Avelina.

"It's fine. I've been needing to get a new one anyway," Avelina consoled her.

Lucia smiled. "Hey, I remember you! Avelina, right? I gave you ride in my taxi cab."

She nodded her head, recalling the chaotic driver. Lucia's smile grew, showing off her perfectly straight, white teeth.

When she noticed Avelina was empty-handed, she handed Avelina her basket to place food in.