"We do have medication to help with the pain. You could probably have one now if you feel you need it."

"Please," I replied.

The doctor left only to return with a small green bottle from another room. He filled my cup with water again and gave me a pill from the bottle. I hoped this would be enough to ease my pain. Just as I swallowed my pill, a slender middle-aged woman with curly brunette hair walked into the room. She had a friendly, but nervous smile plastered over her face. She was beautiful in that southern belle sort of way, with tanned skin and kind eyes.

"Hi, David!" she said, speaking to Dr. Carlson. "Is she ready?" The lady had a thick southern accent.

"Almost," Dr. Carlson answered. "Madison, this is Adelaide Reid. She is going to be your temporary guardian until we can find your family."

"Hi, it's so nice to meet you!" Adelaide exclaimed.

I stayed silent.

Adelaide and Dr. Carlson began talking about a local charity event the city hall was hosting, but I hardly paid attention. I had no idea who I was, where I was, or who my family was. Now I was supposed to just go home with some random lady who I knew nothing about. I was so invested in my thoughts, I didn't notice Adelaide was talking to me.

"Say that again?," I asked.

"What do you think of our little town?" she repeated, not unkindly.

"I have no idea if I'm being honest. I haven't seen anything outside this room. Actually, come to think of it, I don't even know where 'our little town' is."

"Well then let me be the first to welcome you to Christiansburg, Virginia. As soon as we get you out of here I'll show you around," Adelaide enthused, then added, "That is, if you want to. I wouldn't blame you for wanting to stay in bed for a day or two. You just do things at your own pace, honey."

"So I'm gonna be living at your house?"

"Until we can find your family, yes you are. Don't you worry about a thing! We get kids coming to live with us occasionally when it's needed. As far as I'm concerned, you can be a Reid for as long as you want."

"Do you have kids?"

"Just one, a boy. He's fifteen, probably somewhere around the same age as you."

Right. 'Around' the same age because I'm not even sure how old I am. "Are you married?"

"I tried that for a while when I was younger, but it didn't quite stick. Though I suppose it's hard when the man leaves you the minute he realizes he's not cut out to be a dad. Oh well, no use dwelling on the past, especially when the past is as underwhelming as mine," she paused, leaving me to process. Adelaide Reid certainly was not a guarded woman, "I'll go get your things from the doctor, then we should be able to leave." Adelaide walked briskly out of the room, leaving me alone to deal with my thoughts.

How had my life gotten to this? Amnesia in a small town where no one knew who you were. It sounded like a bad Hallmark movie, all I needed now was a man and an irrational passion for Christmas traditions. According to the sheriff, I was lucky, but at that moment nothing about my life felt 'lucky'. It felt terrifying and confusing. I just wanted a nap and a meal. Especially a meal, I had no idea how long it had been since I last ate but it was too long ago.

As I debated whether I should ask a nurse for some lunch or wait for Adelaide to leave and eat with her, a boy walked in. He looked to be about the same age as I was, though where I was short and lanky, he had an athletic build and had to be at least six feet high. He had short, curly brown hair and familiar-looking green eyes.