Chapter 7: Rewind

Ellie POV

It was morning when Ellie opened her eyes. Griffin had an arm wrapped around her, pulling her to his chest. She lay perfectly still, listening to his breathing and trying to determine a way to slip out without him knowing.

She carefully and gently lifted his arm, resting it by his side before sliding out of the bed and wrapping a blanket around her, quickly heading to the bathroom.

After getting out of the shower, she checked her recently stitched hands. Over the years, Ellie had become skilled at treating and healing wounds she had sustained.

The glass had done serious damage to her palms and knees, which she knew would both be scarred.

The thick black thread used to pull the tender skin back together was extremely noticeable. It would be a challenge to hide.

Walking to her closet, Ellie dug through her clothes until she found black yoga pants that covered her knees and half of her calf, concealing most of those wounds while remaining cool.

After searching for a few more minutes, she found a tank top and sweater with sleeves that were way too long. It would be slightly uncomfortable, but Ellie would do anything to preserve her secret.

She slipped the tank top and sweater over her head, looking in the mirror to touch up her makeup and fix her damp hair.

She didn't bother blow drying her hair usually. It would dry into loose dark brown curls. She usually kept it up anyway so it didn't matter what it looked like.

Ellie walked out to the kitchen and grabbed her keys, along with an apple to eat on the way to the library. Today she had her laptop with her so she could pay bills and watch Netflix for a while.

She waited for the elevator, messing around on her phone, answering emails and unread texts. Her heart nearly stopped when she saw a message from someone named Will.

You're taking forever today. 8:47 am

She looked through the contact and saw that all the information had been filled in. Name, address, email.

The elevator pinged and she stepped in without looking. She collided with someone leaning against the wall of the elevator directly in front of the door.

"Watch it." The person croaked.

Ellie looked up, surprised. Penny looked back at her with wary, exhausted eyes. Her makeup was smudged under her eyes, which showed she had slept in it.

Her hair was messy and she wore practically nothing. Her skirt was almost nonexistent and her skintight tank top had dark blothes all over it.

She reeked of sweat and alcohol and had love bites tracking their way down her neck and shoulder that were faded but still noticeable.

Ellie wondered if they were from Will, but immediately stopped the thoughts from going any further. She shouldn't think of that.

The elevator doors closed and began to go up to the fifth floor; to Will's apartment. The awkwardness clouded the air between Penny and Ellie like a swarm of gnats to an outdoor lamp.

After an enternity of waiting, the elevator door opened and Penny kicked her heels off, snatching them up in one hand, and walked out.

Ellie resisted the urge to slam down on the ground floor button, instead pressing it and then putting on an idle demeanor until the doors closed once more.

Ellie stepped outside and took a breath of fresh New York City air. She automatically turned to the nook where Will usually stood in the morning to smoke.

He smirked at her and took the cigarette out of his mouth, blowing a stream of smoke in her direction.

"Morning Sleeping Beauty." He said, taking another drag before dropping and crushing it under his shoe.

Ellie didn't even blush as she took out her phone and waved it in front of his face accusingly.

"You stole my phone."

Will shrugged and then smiled his very contagious smile.

"When did you steal it and why?" Ellie demanded, sliding it back into her bag.

"Dunno."

She raised an eyebrow. "Liar."

Will's smile widened. Ellie, not thinking, reached up and wiped a piece of ash from his lips.

He raised his eyebrows and she snatched her hand away. What was she thinking? He was spoken for and so was she.

She forced her eyes to meet his eyes but found they weren't on hers. He stared intensely at her (now covered) hand.

"What happened?" He asked dully, his voice a monotone.

"I tripped." Ellie answered automatically.

Will's expression turned cold. "Yeah sure."

She could feel her heart drop. "Will-"

"No."

"Let me just explain-"

Will raised a hand to silence her, causing her to instinctually flinch, squeezing her eyes shut.

Nothing happened. After a moment, Ellie opened her eyes and looked at Will, whose hand was frozen in midair.

Heart pounding, Ellie knew that she had just given away her biggest secret.

Without saying a word, Will pushed past her and walked into the building.

Blinking back tears, she slowly turned and walked towards the subway. Maybe she actually was useless. Just like Griffin said.