Chapter 28

As the car door opened, both Lana and Jack were blinded by the bright noon sun. They stepped out of the car, and their jaws dropped. They were standing in front of an opulent mansion surrounded by acres of greenery. Lana looked at the man who ushered them in, and he seemed to be one of the workers for the mansion. He was dressed in a suit and bowed to them.

Jack and Lana were too stunned to speak. This mansion would put Jeremy's mom's place to shame.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Jack and Ms. Lana. We are so happy you could join us today. Please follow me to the garden."

They were guided through the grand front foyer and to a beautiful garden with rose bushes throughout. There was a small table with shade in the middle and water fountains that circled. The man led them to the table and asked them to take a seat. He poured mint Moroccan tea for them. "Please wait here and enjoy your tea. He will be with you in a moment."

Jack cleared his throat. "Who will be here?"

The man was already across the garden and didn't turn back to respond. Lana and Jack looked at each other.

"Lana, we're going to be okay. Whatever this is, I'm sure it's just a misunderstanding. I already notified the American consulate of our stay in Morocco, and so if they don't see us on a flight back to the US, they'll know something's up."

Lana sighed and picked up her teacup. She blew on the hot contents and took a sip. Jack's eyes widened for a moment, and then the lines on his cheeks appeared as he cracked a smile. "Would you like some biscuits to go with that tea?"

Lana smiled and shrugged as she continued blowing on her tea. Jack continued to tease. "I can go call our waiter. Maybe they can squeeze us in for some afternoon massages by the pool."

Lana continued to blow on her tea. "Could you? We may die, so I might as well enjoy my last moments in life."

Jack's smile grew, and he picked up his teacup. "We are not going to die, but cheers!" They clinked teacups, and some of the green liquid spilled out. Both took sips and sat back in their seats.

After a few moments of quiet, Jack spoke. "If you were being sent to the electrocution chair, what would your last meal be?"

Lana thought hard. For a moment it felt like they were two old friends having afternoon tea, and she missed the familiar feeling. She missed Jack. "Oh, definitely the meat pastry we had at the French restaurant! I still think about that amazing meal from time to time."

"The lamb pastry?"

"Oh, was that what that was? I thought it was just plain beef. Yeah, I guess I love lamb now." Lana took another sip of her tea and looked up, admiring the greenery around her. "What about you? What's your last meal?"

"Hmmm, maybe some waffles?"

"Ooh, that's a good—"

Lana stopped as soon as she heard a tapping sound coming from the house. She set her cup down, and both she and Jack's eyes grew wide when they saw a very familiar man with his cane walking slowly toward them. The man was smiling as he approached and sat down in front of them at the table.

"It's nice to see you again, Lana and Jack. I hope your drive here was comfortable. Sorry to delay your trip home."

Lana and Jack both stayed silent, wondering why the man they had stolen from a day earlier was holding them in his home.

"You may be wondering why I asked you to come back here. Well—"

"You didn't ask us," Lana interrupted.

"Oh yes, you're right. So, let's just get straight to the point then, shall we?" the man continued, seeming to not be offended by Lana's interruption.

"So, I changed my mind. I do need something from you two, and I need it tonight."

***

"So should we do it, or what?" Lana whispered as she paced the garden. The man was still at the table while Lana and Jack were at a distance, chatting about his proposal. To Lana, they didn't have a choice. They needed to deliver the goods, of God knows what, to the docks. It was their ticket home.

"I don't know Lana. It seems dangerous."

"Yeah, but he said it should be easy-peasy, right? I mean, we just drop off the boxes by the docks and then leave, right? It feels like our only option right now is to get our passports back."

"We could go to the consulate to ask for new ones?"

"Wouldn't that take ages to process? I have a feeling we need to do this to get home ASAP."

Jack paused and furrowed his brows. "Are you going to dare me again like you did yesterday?"

Lana wrinkled her brows and jerked her head back. "No, Jack. Okay, I get it, that was a stupid thing for me to do yesterday, but I'm just trying to be realistic here."

All the friendliness Lana was feeling earlier had evaporated in an instant. Good ol' annoyance took its place.

"Okay, just checking," Jack said as he placed a hand on his chin. He stared at Lana for a moment, stroking the stubble on his chin. "Okay, I think you're right. It's our fastest way home. We just need to do it and then get the hell out of Morocco."

Jack walked back to the table, and Lana followed. He sat in front of the elderly man. "Fine. We'll do it, but on only one condition—we need a guaranteed safe and smooth passage back to the US, the both of us, on tomorrow's flight."

The man dramatically put his hand to his chest. "Sir, you offend me. I would never let my guests be in danger. You have my word that you will be back home soon enough, safe and sound, with not a scratch."

Jack looked back at Lana, and both nodded. "Fine. We'll do what you need."

"Excellent! Pleasure doing business with you, my friend." He reached out his hand, and Jack shook it. The man smiled. "Antonio will give you everything you need for the delivery tonight." The man got up from his seat and grabbed his cane. He began walking away but turned around one last time. "Just remember, look like you are tourists as much as possible." He paused and continued. "And also, it might help if you look like you are married."

Lana raised her eyebrows. Help with what?

***

Thanks for reading, commenting, and voting! ♥️