Just Some Changes - Nestor

Description: Nestor and his neighbor are friends who both have feelings for one another. He finally admits to it one night after a dinner together.

"Hey, where are the cups?" Nestor asked.

"Since when do you not know where your cups are?" I asked. I was making dinner for the two of us as he attempted to get himself a glass of iced tea.

"Since my neighbor got bored and decided to rearrange my kitchen."

I rolled my eyes at him. "And here I thought we were friends."

"We can be friends when you leave my shit alone."

I shook my head as I moved to grab something from the spice cabinet. "What gives?"

He didn't want to talk about whatever it was. That was obvious. I just quieted down and went back to working on dinner.

Nestor and I had been neighbors for a couple years, and he finally came to my house about a year ago looking for help. He had been charged with babysitting his bosses kid and didn't have anything kid friendly in his house.

"Can I help you?" I asked as I answered the door.

"Please tell me you know something about children," he said. "I've seen kids in and out of here."

"Nestor we've only ever had like three conversations but yes. What's going on?"

"I don't have anything kid friendly and my boss needed me to watch Cristobal tonight."

I chuckled softly as I let Nestor and the child in.

"My nephews have some toys in the chest in the living room. Does he need a snack or anything?"

The young boy looked up at me with the sweetest smile and I smiled back at him.

"I don't know. But I owe you."

"We'll work something out," I said, laughing at him.

"What're you thinking about?" Nestor asked, pulling my attention from the memory.

"Just that day you showed up with Cristobal."

He smiled a little at me, earning a smile in return. He was incredibly attractive, especially with the two braids he always had in his hair.

"That was a good day."

I nodded. "It absolutely was."

It fell silent and I could tell something was bothering him. I wasn't going to push the matter though.

I finished up making dinner and set the table for us. I got us both fresh glasses of tea and we went to eat. We talked a bit about our days and such but Nestor wasn't very talkative.

"What's going on?"

"Just some changes."

"Nes," I said softly. "If you want to talk about it, I'll listen."

"I know you will."

It fell silent as we finished up dinner. We both moved to start cleaning up at the same time.

Once the house was clean, I decided to head out. "I'll see you around Nestor."

"Wait."

I froze and turned back towards him.

"Querida," he said. "Do you want to stay for a bit?"

"Sure," I said. He led me to the living room and we sat down on the couch together.

"Look, I need to tell you something."

I looked up at him and nodded for him to continue. He placed his hand on mine.

"Querida, will you go out with me?"

I smiled at him and nodded. My Spanish was rusty until I started to spend more time with him.

"I would love that Nestor."

A smile grew on his lips and he leaned over to kiss me.

"There's one other thing though."

"What's wrong Nestor?"

"Marcus asked me to prospect into the Mayans."

"That's great. You hate your security job."

"I know. I just wasn't sure how you'd take it."

"I think it's awesome. As long as you stay safe. I care about you Nestor."

He didn't reply, opting instead to lean over and kiss me once again.