Lawyer - EZ

Description: A classmate of EZ's from Stanford moves to Santo Padre to open a law firm specializing in immigration law. She does her best to find him and they agree to dinner to catch up.

"I'll be right with you," the man, who I assumed to be Mr. Reyes said as I walked in.

"Take your time," I said. I looked around the small shop and it was just as EZ had described it.

He finished with his customer before turning to me.

"What can I get for you?" He asked.

"Are you Felipe Reyes?" I asked. He nodded, clearly concerned by my attire and knowing his name. "I'm (Y/N). I was a friend of Ezekiel's at Stanford."

"What can I do for you then?"

"I was just looking for him. I heard about your wife, and I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Did you hear the rest?" He asked.

I nodded and he sighed.

"Mr. Reyes-."

"Please call me Felipe," he said.

I nodded. "Felipe, I was just hoping to talk to your son."

"He isn't here, but if you give me a phone number," he said.

"Yeah, of course," I said, digging through my purse and handing him a business card. "It's got my cell phone too."

"Lawyer?"

"Immigration law," I said. "I was raised by my maternal grandparents in southern Texas after my dad was deported."

"How old were you?"

"Seven," I said. "Mom passed when I was four."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"Thank you Felipe," I said. "I'm opening an office just down the street here if you or your sons ever need anything."

The door opened and a taller guy with dark hair and a leather vest that read Mayans walked in.

"I'll see you around Felipe," I said before walking out.

I headed down the street to where my office was going to be in just a few weeks. I owned the building already and I was beyond excited to start my own practice. I just had to wait until my contract in LA was up. Then I was free to practice here. Luckily I'd had some vacation time that I used to come down here and get set up.

I had built a name for myself as a defense attorney in LA so I had the money to move to the border and start working in immigration law.

I was working on setting up the front entrance of the office so it was warm and inviting when someone on a motorcycle stopped outside and stepped off. He knocked on the door as I made my way to him.

"(Y/N)?" He asked.

"EZ?" I responded and let him in. He instantly pulled me into a hug.

"You really did it," he said.

I nodded and he looked around the office. "I've spent a couple years saving up in LA so I can do this for real but I'm here."

"I'm proud of you," he said. "Uh, I don't have long right now. Do you want to grab dinner and catch up though? Tomorrow maybe?"

"I'm headed to Mexico tomorrow morning to see my dad," I said. "Tell him all my dreams are coming true. You know. But I'll be back in a few days. So maybe like Saturday?"

"I'll try to make that work," he said.

"I'd like that a lot EZ," I said.

"Me too," he said. I shifted slightly at the awkward tension between us. We would have dated at Stanford if not for one Emily Thomas, now Galindo.

"I'll uh-." He paused again.

"Go, I don't need Mayans knocking my doors down already," I said.

"I'll see you around," he said, hugging me once more before walking away. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as I thought back to all our time together at Stanford. I knew we were different people now but I just hoped we could make it work.