sick

I I'm not a piece of cake I 

A saying I've once heard has stuck with me for the entirety of my short life. If I cannot be better than them, I will be so much worse. 

Vanya's eyes are bloodshot and she's barely moving from her spot beside the window. Her hands are cuffed but that is not the only thing I notice. They're covered in blood. Her face and clothes are spotted with red. 

"What happened?" I mutter, curling myself up into a ball. The shock of my so-called family's betrayal still stings my skin, burning me from the inside out. I am slowly being destroyed by a thing called trust. "Did they sell you out too?" 

Vanya turns her head slowly. "Who are they?" she tips her head towards the front where the driver starts pulling out of the driveway. Five's face flashes quickly in the window of the house and then disappears. Looks like they don't have to worry about the apocalypse anymore. The bomb has been disabled and the ticking has stopped. Peace. 

I almost laugh, thinking about how ridiculous I could've been to possibly think this time would be any different. That Five actually liked me--or thought I was worth saving. 

"They're the Institution," I narrow my eyes, glancing down at the cuffs. I wonder--in the back of my mind that has not been taken over by sickly thoughts--I wonder if Vanya knows she has powers. 

"I killed him," Vanya's voice is so faint I can barely hear her. "Leonard. It was an accident. I--I have powers." 

"Quiet," the man bangs a hand on the steering wheel causing her to jump. 

"Why did you kill him?" I know she knows that I'm not a stranger to the accidental murder of people. 

She stares down at her hands. Tears run down her face. Her voice is tight, pinched. Her hands curl up into fists. Flecks of dried blood coat her fingernails. 

"He knew I had powers. He knew the whole time. It's the only reason he was interested me. Apparently he...was...obsessed with the Umbrella Academy," Vanya bites the inside of her cheek. Hard. 

I have no words for this. 

"Vanya..." 

We approach the Institution. The car stops. The man blindfolds us and leads us into the high security department. I cannot see, only hear what he does. Opens up a gate of some sort. 

This is the part when we get locked up and the key is thrown away. 

He removes mine and Vanya's blindfolds at the last second before pushing us headfirst into the darkness. I land hard, on my knees. Straight onto something padded. 

It's a sound proof room. There's a tiny air vent at the top of the high ceiling, but there's no way to reach it. Without any people in the room other than Vanya, my power should be deemed useless. 

There is no way out. 

"I guess they don't have to worry about the apocalypse anymore," I lay flat on the ground, tugging hopelessly at the cuffs. My eyes search the room. Vanya stands still. 

"LET US OUT! LET US OUT!" She screams the words at the closed door. There's no hope of anyone coming to rescue us now. 

I can't tell time in here. I can't tell if it's been two nights or two months or two years or three minutes. I close my eyes. I open my eyes. I can feel sleep eating away at my insides. 

Sometime the next day--or possibly the next two days or something or not or something--a soft whoosh echoes in the room. 

Five. 

"You need to let me explain," he says. "I was with the Commission--" 

"You. Say. That. Like. I. Fucking. Care," my eyes are wide. Not normal. There is no emotion left and there couldn't be. Five senses something. 

He takes a step back. "Y/N." He knows there's something wrong. "I made a deal with the Institution. They're working with the Commission, and the only way to get them to give me this briefcase--was to turn you two in." 

"Good for you," I am barely breathing. I am barely alive. "Good for you, Five." 

His green eyes search mine but they will never find me again. 

"No--you don't understand. Harold Jenkins causes the apocalypse," Five says urgently. "Harold Jenkins--also known as Leonard Peabody." 

"He's dead," Vanya says. "I killed him." 

Five looks at her, like he didn't know she was standing there. 

I smile at the wall. It doesn't feel like a normal smile. It feels like desperation, sadness and insanity rolled into a perfect picture in a tiny wooden frame. It feels like cardboard in your mouth. It feels like losing. 

I am insane. And there's no one to try and fix or heal me. It's just me and my powers-- me and the darkness of crazy who wants to take over who wants to rule the world--who wants to cause an apocalypse. 

And I don't care anymore. I sink to my knees. A choked laugh is lost in the room. Vanya stares at me. The shadow seeps from me, starting in my eyes. Clouding my vision. 

Then all at once, it breaks free.