The Escape Chapter 16

"Alright Y/N. Time to learn how to use the bow and arrow." Shadow said.

"Alright. So how do I begin?"

"You see that apple right there?"

Shadow pointed at the apple which was at the middle of the target board.

"Yeah?"

"Try to hit it."

You aimed the arrow at the apple and then released it but you accidentally dropped the arrow on the ground.

"It's alright just try again."

After a few more tries, Shadow walked towards you and began to adjust your body a bit.

"There. Now try that."

You fired the arrow and shot the apple.

"Yes!"

"Nice job."

You gave him a smile as he smiled back.

"I'm having a great time with you Shadow. Thank you for being my friend."

"No problem."

Suddenly, Shadow heard someone shout his name from the distance.

"Huh?"

"Shadow!"

You both turned your heads and saw a female hedgehog, trying to catch her breath.

Shadow was shocked.

The hedgehog looked so tired and slightly injured. She was panting a bit as she began to speak again.

"I finally found you!"

"M-Maria?"

Maria caught her breath and continued to run to him. Shadow ran to her and they hugged each other tightly. Shadow had tears in his eyes.

"Is it really you?!"

Maria grabbed his face and said,

"Yes Shadow. It's me. I'm alive."

"But...how? I saw you got shot."

"What's going on?" You rushed towards the scene and saw Maria hugging Shadow.

You looked at her shocked.

"How is this possible!?"

Maria rubbed her neck.

"Well..."

*Flashback*

Maria's POV:

"No...please!"

"Before I was shot, they told me they'll leave the others alone if I did what they say. I didn't want to but I also didn't want to see my friends die. So I agreed.

"Listen here little lady, you'll make great use to us if you cooperate. If you do, we'll leave the others alone. If you don't, you can say goodbye to your friend over there."

He pointed at Shadow as he was attacking the army. Maria was worried as she looked back at Shadow. She sighed and looked at them.

"Fine. I'll do it. Just please leave him alone."

"Very well. Now he's what you have to do."

"I had to pretend that I was dead so instead of shooting me, they quickly injected me with a needle to put me into deep sleep for a couple of hours and shot me with realistic bloody paint."

"Maria!"

The cat whispered to Maria,

"Keep your mouth shut."

"After that, I heard Shadow coming towards me and holding me close. Even though I was out cold, I could still hear what was happening."

"My heart hurts so bad to hear Shadow cry. I wanted to hug him and tell him that I was ok but I didn't want him killed."

"After I was buried, it took a while for me to finally wake up and I noticed that I was underground. I having trouble breathing and tried to get out but then I heard the outsiders from above."

"Then, they dug me up after I was buried and I was gasping for air."

Maria was gasping and coughing, trying to get some air.

"Now, you will keep your mouth shut! Understand!?" The leader asked.

Maria quickly nodded as they took her away. They quickly covered her buried spot first and then went back to their place.

"For years, they have beaten me, injured me, yelled at me and used me for experiments. It was horrible. I would get extra hurt if I disobeyed them."

"But one day, I had enough. So when they were having a party, I was able to escape without them knowing but I was quickly discovered and had to run."

"They've been chasing me forever. They shot their arrows at me, injuring me a bit. But it was worth finding you Shadow."

*Flashback Ended*

"Oh Maria. I'm so sorry! It's all my fault!"

"No Shadow. It's not your fault. I did it to protect you."

They hugged each other again while you just stood there in silence. Not sure what to do.

Shadow pulled away and looked at you.

"Oh I'm sorry Y/N."

"No it's ok. It's good to start off with a reunion." You said with a smile.

"Maria, this is my new friend, Y/N."

"Hello."

"It's nice to meet you!" Maria said.

"Let's go tell the others that you're back." Shadow said.

"Alright. I missed them so much." Maria said as they start bringing her home.

What's gonna happen next? Find out on Chapter 17. Have a good day. Author out ❤️❤️❤️