Chapter 14: The First Match

Start from the beginning

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I sat together next to a window. Hermione was checking Harry and Ron's Charms homework for them, she would never let us copy but we had learnt that by asking her to read it through, we got the right answers anyway.

I could see that Harry was restless, he kept looking around every few minutes.

"You alright mate?" I asked him as he got to his feet.

"Yeah I'm just going to ask Snape if I can get my book back." He told us.

"Better you than me," both Ron and Hermione said together.

"You think he'll get it back?" Ron asked after Harry had left.

"Not a chance." I told him leaning back in my chair, glaring back at a third year who wouldn't stop glaring at me.

"Just ignore them." Hermione told me. "They'll stop eventually."

"Yeah I'll make them stop." I growled, feeling a weird anger I hadn't felt before, it was as though it were another person's emotion.

"That'll just make it worse." Hermione said not looking up from her paper.

"Are you alright?" Ron asked me sounding concerned, placing a hand on my shoulder.

In an instant the anger I felt moments prior was gone. "Huh oh yeah... yeah I'm alright." I told him with a weak smile.

"Did your brain get muddled again?" He asked me quietly. I just nodded, it seemed to be happening more frequently since I got to Hogwarts.

It was only a few minutes later than Harry burst into the common room out of breath.

"Did you get it?" Ron asked as Harry joined us.

"What's the matter?" I asked him.

In a low whisper, Harry explained to us that he'd seen Snape, Filch and another man in the staff room.

"You know what this means?" Harry finished breathlessly. "He tried to get past that three-headed dog at Halloween! That's where he was going when we saw him — he's after whatever it's guarding! And I'd bet my broomstick he let that troll in, to make a diversion!"

Hermione's eyes were wide. "No — he wouldn't," she said. "I know he's not very nice, but he wouldn't try and steal something Dumbledore was keeping safe."

"Honestly, Hermione, you think all teachers are saints or something," snapped Ron. "I'm with Harry. I wouldn't put anything past Snape. But what's he after? What's that dog guarding?"

"And who was the other guy anyway, I've never seen him around the school before." Harry said.

"What'd he look like again?" I asked him.

"He was tall, with glasses, he had the same colour eyes as you actually." Harry told me. "Oh and he wore these black leather gloves and a trench coat even though he was inside."

"That's Edgar!" I said recognizing the description.

"Who?" Hermione, Harry and Ron asked in unison.

"He knew our parents." I said. "He fought in the war against You Know Who."

"Well what is he doing helping Snape get past that dog?" Ron asked.

I just shrugged at this before packing up my things. "I should probably get going." I told them before leaving through the portrait hole.

...

The next morning dawned very bright and cold. The Great Hall was full of the delicious smell of fried sausages and the cheerful chatter of everyone looking forward to a good Quidditch match.