Marsali

The rest of the week flew by with the seventh year teacher assigning loads of homework for the students to work on over the break. The growing group of friends worked like mad to get as much done before the last day of classes to free up their holiday. The morning of the Christmas Ball Draco came into the Great Hall unusually disheveled. He appeared not to have slept at all but buzzed with a strange anxious energy.

"Relax; she will be here soon enough." Hermione tried to soothe, which was greeted with a small smile. Classes seemed to drag by even though the teachers all chose interesting and fun lessons knowing excitement would be high. Finally, the last class was out and the twins set off dozens of harmless firecrackers that whirled through the air in every corridor. Draco and his friends hurried to the front entrance where his sister would be arriving any moment. The doors opened and a beautiful white-blond teenager strolled in followed by three matching suitcases. Her face lit up in a wide smile as Draco picked her up and swung her around in a tight embrace. Harry was quick to elbow Ron who stood with his mouth gaping at the girl.

"Marsali, this is my girlfriend Hermione." Marsali appraised her brother's choice critically before smiling and curtseying slightly. "This is Harry Potter and Ron Weasley, my friends."

She shook both of their hands lingering slightly as she smiled coyly before turning back to her beaming brother. "I am so glad to meet you, my brother has been writing about you all."

Draco threw his arms around Marsali and Hermione and left the suitcases to Dobby to bring to Draco's apartment. Dinner was to be served early to prepare for the Christmas dance but the gang had time to give the visitor a brief tour before heading to the Great Hall. Dozens of students had approached them, looking for an introduction to the beautiful young woman which Draco responded to with a threatening glare. Hermione hung back with Ron and Harry allowing the siblings to catch up while staying as inconspicuous as possible. Marsali cast curious glances over her shoulder but had yet to make a comment. Dinner was a small affair with the rush of people eager to get into their dress robes.

Draco and Marsali headed to his apartment to change as Hermione and her friends hurried to the Gryffindor tower. There were only a few short hours before the ball would begin. Ron whispered to Harry when their female friend was out of earshot. "She is beautiful isn't she?"

Harry smiled, as this was the first comment he had heard from Ron about a female since he and Hermione had broken up. They strolled up to their dorm and heard the giggles coming from the girl's dorms as they prepared themselves. The boys were rushing around looking for lost items of clothing among the mess of half packed trunks and piles on the floor.

"Who are you going with Harry?" Dean asked as he carefully shaved in the bathroom.

"I'm not going with anyone. I just thought I would hang out with my friends." Harry responded while digging under his bed for a clean pair of socks. He did not want to divulge the real reason he wouldn't go on a date. He had made a decision after his last disastrous date with Cho Chang that he would not date anyone until Voldermort was out of his life. Then he would be free to worry about trivial things like girls.

"I heard you turned down a dozen girls because you didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings." Neville's voice was muffled as he pulled his shirt over his head. Harry felt his face going red at the suggestions. He had several girls make it obvious that they wanted him to ask them but he had not been asked outright. He quickly changed the subject to safer topics about the masquerade theme. They finished getting ready and hurried down to the common room to wait for the girls. It was a few moments before the girls started drifting down the stairs in small giggling groups. Hermione and Ginny were one of the first two to come down. Both looked stunning, Ginny in an emerald green satin dress with a corset style bodice and a light shawl to subdue her overprotective brothers. Hermione wore a sapphire blue gown with no straps and her hair piled high on her head with curly tendrils falling on her face and neck. Neville offered Ginny his arm and Ron sent him a warning glance reminding him that he would be monitored before the threesome followed to meet up with Draco and Marsali. They met up with the siblings at the base of the steps where Draco took Hermione's arm with a light kiss on the mouth complementing her immensely. Marsali took Ron's arm to his surprise and he was sure to comment on how beautiful she looked in her icy blue form-fitting gown that plunged dangerously in the neckline.