Winter Blossom

Draco stomped through the Forbidden Forest, trailed meekly by Crabb and Goyle still furious at the letter he had received. "Go into the deepest part of the Forest on the coldest day of the year for some stupid plant. Why do I even bother?" A bird called sharply, pulling him abruptly from his dark mutterings as he searched for threat before turning back to the following Slytherins.

"Come on then, I don't have all day. Some of us actually have work to do." He turned back to the faint trail that led them deeper into the Forest away from the comforts of Hogwarts. The brush grew thicker making it more difficult to push through but Draco used his anger to force through the trees. After several hours they came to the ravine the letter had spoken of much to the relief of Crabb and Goyle. Draco's mood had not improved and they had heard strange noises in the forest around them. "Finally! Let's find this stupid plant and get out of here."

He scoured the bottom of the rocky ravine for traces of the small flower that was said to bloom only in the deepest cold of winter and only in this stretch of forest. It was a coveted plant for several complicated potions and difficult to find as it was small and the flower a pale blue. They heard a crash in the forest behind them and Draco spun as black birds burst into the sky. Crabb and Goyle looked at each other and screamed before tearing off into the woods on the path they had come in from.

"Get back here you idiots! It's only a bunch of birds!" Draco yelled at their large retreating forms before giving an exasperated sigh and turning back to the ravine. "Now they are going to get lost and I'll have to search for them after I find the dumb plant. Why on earth father wanted me to take them is beyond me."

He turned back to the ravine and slowly walked along its edge searching the floor. He heard another crash and spun to face it as he pulled out his wand. Again there was nothing visible beyond the dark screen of trees. Taking off his gloves and putting them in his pocket he turned back to the ravine keeping his wand at the ready. He heard a crack the same instant he felt something strike him violently in the back, instantly knocking the wind out of him with a wave of pain. He found his feet had left the ground and propelling through the air towards a tree ten feet across the steep ravine. He had just enough time to duck his head but struck the tree forcefully in the shoulder. Instantly black spots danced before his eyes as he fell to the ravine floor. He landed brutally hard smashing his head on an outcropped rock as he landed on his side. Just before darkness engulfed him he saw a tiny blue flower poking out of the snow just out of reach of his naked outstretched hand.

******************

"Potter! We've been looking for you all over. Can we talk to you for a moment?" Crabb and Goyle came barreling into the library completely oblivious to the stares and glares from the studying students and librarian. Harry looked up and quickly decided it would be much easier to get rid of the Slytherin oafs outside of the library. Besides, he was curious what they would want to talk to him about in such a panic. He closed his books and gathered his bag as Ron and Hermione hurried to do the same before following the two larger boys out of the library.

"What do you want to talk about?" Harry asked shouldering the heavy bag the instant they were in the hall. The clock tower struck four times surprising Hermione.

"We think something happened to Draco in the Forbidden Forest." Goyle blurted out shifting from one foot to the next in obvious distress. Crabb jumped right in; "We were supposed to go into the forest to look for some plant for Draco's father but we kept hearing noises."

"We got spooked and ran but I guess Draco stayed to look for it." Goyle continued before Crabb interrupted again. "I would too if Lucius was my father. That was just after breakfast and he still isn't back yet."

"And let me guess. You two are afraid to go into the forest and find him, right?" Hermione glared at the rather large boys who had the sense to look abashed. They nodded and hung their heads as Harry fought to hold back the laughter.