SIXTEEN

CW: MATURE CONTENT

     One of the best articles Giselle ever wrote was on the perseverance of Gotham City. Even after the city's flooding, the heart of Gotham beat so strong that the streets were back to normal in no time. A month had gone by and life filled the city once more, both good and bad.

Christmas has always been Giselle's favorite holiday and for good reason. She came from very little and loved the excuse to receive gifts. That was until she met Bruce, of course. The brooding billionaire loved to shower her with his wealth, and she had slowly begun giving into his charms.

The streets of Gotham were particularly cheerful around Christmas time. Santas and candy canes lined the shop windows. Iridescent lights twinkled silver and gold on the nicer streets, spreading cheer about. It was much needed after such a depressing Thanksgiving season spent recovering from devastation.

"Please, Bruce!" Giselle begs as she tugs on his coarse, calloused hand. He grumbles what sounds like a 'fine' as she leads the way inside her favorite coffee shop.

Even the shop is decorated for the season, with little gingerbread cutouts and candy swirls decorating the walls.  The bakery case is filled with drool-worthy pastries and sweets, and their menu boasts festive caffeinated drinks.

Bruce instantly realizes that Giselle in this coffee shop is the equivalent to a child in a candy shop. She eagerly orders a peppermint mocha and chocolate croissant, and rolls her eyes at her boyfriend as he orders a black coffee.

At that moment, Giselle notices the glances piercing into the couple. Whispers tickle at her ears as people lean in to whisper about the two. She grasps Bruce's hand more firmly as they quickly stroll out of the shop.

"I'm afraid to even ask where we're going next," sighs Bruce as their footsteps crunch through the layer of snow lining the streets.

"The bookstore?" suggests Giselle with a grin, holding tightly to her peppermint mocha in her gloved hand.

Bruce nods in agreement, tugging his thick topcoat closer around his body. The bookstore offers the two a welcoming warmth and they spend what feels like forever strolling down each of the aisles.

Moments later, Bruce's hands are occupied with two heavy bags of books for the both of them to read as they wait by the snowy curb for Alfred. The sleek black vehicle pulls up and the two slip into the warmth of the car.

"How'd it go then?" asks Alfred merrily. Giselle notices he is wearing a rather festive Christmas tie.

"I would say we were rather successful!" declares Giselle happily, glancing over at Bruce, whose lips move into a soft smile. "I found a few novels you'll love, Alfred,"

"Brilliant!"

Bruce's hand slides into hers as they return home.

"Hear back on any jobs yet?" questions the older gentleman.

"A couple, but nothing...substantial," Giselle frowns, glancing out the window at the dreary snow-lined streets.  It bothered Giselle immensely that she still did not have a job since being fired from her journalist position back in October. She instead spent her days baking up every type of pastry and sweet imaginable, or reading copious amounts of books.

On the other hand, Bruce's work as Batman was never done. Crime surged after Gotham's destruction, leaving him busier than ever. Giselle spent hours upon hours scouring over data to assist him in hunting down criminals.

A breath of frosty air breezes through Giselle's coat as she stands in the Bat Cave.

"Babe, it's freezing in here, we should really get some heaters or something. It can't be good for the computers," Giselle babbles, her teeth nearly chattering as they walk through the space, heading towards the old elevator.