Disasterology

The sun rose above the horizon, shining its bright rays through the windows of the cabin. The cabin lit up with the light emitting from the sun, signifying that it was time for the two occupants to start their day. Jack was the first to come out of his room, still clad in his light grey shirt and navy blue sweat pants that he wore to bed. He rubbed some of the tar off of his face, glaring at the sun that had now reached the top of the trees. 

    He walked into the kitchen, looking in the refrigerator for something to eat. After spotting his desired meal, he took it out and set it on the counter. He took out a plate and set one of the many contents of the container onto the plate. He shut the container and put it back into the fridge, then reached for the door to the microwave. He let the item spin inside of the microwave for about a minute before taking it out. He looked at the meal with a hint of disgust in his face. 

    Ever since Jack's incident occurred, his diet had only consisted of one thing. Kidneys. Not just any kidneys either, they had to be human kidneys. They had an acquired taste, to say the least, and definitely wouldn't be the thing that Jack would've chosen to eat if he had a choice. He would kill for a cinnamon bun, or even cereal, for all he cared. Just not kidneys. But of course, he had to kill for kidneys. They don't sell human kidneys at the supermarket. 

     Jack grabbed a fork from a drawer and went to sit down at the dining room table. That's when Jess entered, clad in a black crop top, a half buttoned up, brown flannel jacket, blue jeans, and, of course, converse. Her red hair was poorly brushed, and she carried a machete on her belt. She swiftly grabbed a banana out of the fruit basket and peeled it, eating it quickly. She took off a black bookbag that rested on her left shoulder and placed it on the counter, taking a few apples, a granola bar, and a candy bar and placed it inside. 

    "Wait, we're leaving already?" Jack asked, perking up. Jess shook her head. 

    "No, I'm just getting ready. We leave in about twenty minutes, so you can eat and get dressed." Jess replied, running back into her room to grab something. She came back out a few seconds later with two knives, placing one in the bag and the other on her belt. 

     Jack nodded and took his last few bites of his meal, a disgusted look flashing across his face yet again, and got up. He placed his dish in the sink and whipped it down with cold water before going back to his room. Jack slipped off his sleep wear and slipped on a dark blue shirt, black jeans, his converse, and grabbed his black jacket for later. He grabbed a few knives off of one of his shelves, a journal and a pen, one of his many books, a camera, and then some basic necessities, like food and water. He also grabbed a toothbrush and hair brush before shoving all of the contents into a large bookbag. He also decided to grab a flashlight and an extra change of clothes before leaving the room. He didn't know when they were going to be back, so he wanted to make sure he had everything he would need. Especially if things didn't go their way. 

     He quickly grabbed his mask before entering the kitchen again, where Jess was now zipping her bag shut. She threw it over her shoulder and looked at an invisible watch on her wrist. 

   "Ready to go?" She asked. Jack didn't question the girl's actions and just nodded, relieved to finally have an excuse to leave the cabin. Not that he hated it here, it was just that he had been stuck in the cabin for months, save for when he needed to restock on food. They both looked around for anything else they may have forgotten before finally stepping outside.

    The cold spring air sent shivers down Jess' spine as it greeted her. She buttoned up her jacket and sighed. 'This will be a long journey if the weather stays like this.' Jess thought. Jack locked the door behind himself and then they set out.