16 - So near and yet so far

Start from the beginning

Stephanie moved closer to the shore, waving with outstretched arms, while Martika struggled to contain the emotions that Tex, on the other hand, openly demonstrated, by barking and wagging his tail as much as possible.

Vitalius and Rubios, kept their distance, watching the terrestrial's celebrations with amusement. Then, smiling widely, the deolian scientist gave the astonished Director a big slap on the back, making him visibly stagger due to the friendly, but rather energetic blow received.

«So, that guy over there, is the famous 'grandad'?» asked Smogghel, emerging out of the pod's open hatch.

«Yes, and there's Stephanie and Wendi too, I can't believe it!» replied Roy, continuing to wave happily to the little group on the islet.

«Smogghel, it's incredible! I don't know how but...I heard Stephanie's thoughts!»

«But you terrestrials aren't telepathic...» Smogghel didn't finish the sentence: his attention had been distracted by the reflection of something moving rapidly, skimming the water, heading straight towards them.

«Just a minute! What's that?» he said, pointing in the direction of the mysterious object.

«Did you see it too?» Stephanie asked the others at the same time, although the backlight effect of the setting sun behind Roy, made it difficult to see properly.

«Something's closing in fast, but I can't make out what it is...» stated Vitalius.

«It's another escape pod» judged Rubios, managing to put the object in focus more accurately, and making the terrestrial's blood freeze in their veins.

After gliding over the sea's surface, the second pod crash-landed, ending up not very far from Roy and Smogghel.

«Geez! These are definitely not friends!» exclaimed the moghistani, a bit worried.

«We've got to get to grandad on the island!» said Roy, hauling himself out of the escape pod, ready to dive into the sea.

«Wait a minute!» Smogghel stopped him, starting to rummage around inside the escape pod, «there should be some anti-gravity life jackets here somewhere...»

«Hurry up! Someone's getting out of that escape pod!» cried Roy, pointing to the space shuttle's hatch that was opening.

Please don't let it be him, please don't let it be him! he thought, but Demorius' creepy voice burst mercilessly in his head.

-You didn't really think that you could escape me did you, earthling?!-

Roy doubled over from the pain that the violent mental contact caused. Even Stephanie and the two deolians on the island were startled, sensing the presence of the evil criminal's thoughts, so powerful that they could be heard even from that distance.

«Oh no! It's Demorius!» the frightened girl screamed.

The monstrous deolian came out of the shuttle, held up by an anti-gravity life jacket, and he quickly headed towards the other escape pod, flying over the sea in an upright position, barely a hand's width above the surface.

«Smogghel, it's Demorius and he's heading here!» shouted Roy to his rugged friend, who was still rummaging around trying to find the life jackets.

«What? Damn! I really hoped that I'd knocked him out forever!» declared Smogghel, pulling himself up so that he could see the horrendous deolian approaching with his own eyes.

«I'm diving in, I'm gonna try and reach the others!» said Roy.

«Wait!» Smogghel tried to stop the youth as he jumped into the sea and started to swim, with large strokes, towards the castaway's island.