The Girl on Fire

Percy's POV

After we checked in to a hotel in the Capitol, Thalia took a shower, Artemis cleaned her hunting knife, Annabeth read the local news and I flipped on the TV.

I was shellshocked at the bizarre outfits of the people. I mean, come on! Who, in their right mind, would put so much powder on their face?! Why not wear a mask?! They reminded me of the people in The Phantom of the Opera, in the masquerade scene, bellowing, "MASQUERADE!!!!!!!" as if the whole world needed to know. Well, duh.

Some even permanently attached a feather at the corner of their right eye. And dyed their dogs pink. And some were NUDE, but their whole body has been tattooed on anyway. Double-kill.

I started to worry about the girl we had to find. Would she have lace-like eyelashes? HOW, may I ask, would she resemble Zoë Nightshade?! She may as well resemble a cow. Just saying.

Annabeth started reading a book called Visitor's Guide to Panem and scrunched her nose. "Apparently not everyone here is as wealthy as we think." I flipped off the TV. "What the Hades?"

She looked at me. Then, she said, "They have twelve districts, which are responsible for a supply each. For example..." She scanned the book. "District Four is Fishing." I thought, Poseidon would be good for this district four.

Thalia came out of the shower, wearing a white hoodie over her green t-shirt and silver leggings. Her lieutenant's ring glowed faintly around her head. "Is there a district for mining, Annie?" "Genius!" gasped Annabeth, tackling her in a huge bear hug. Water droplets flicked everywhere. I snapped my fingers and Thalia's hair went dry again.

Annabeth grabbed the book and read it eagerly. "There is! There is! District Twelve! Oh, Thalia, you're a genius!" Thalia hugged her back, smiling like a big sister.

Artemis stood up. "I think, children, that we should go out for dinner. Would you like that?" I nodded eagerly. Annabeth agreed, but insisted that she brought Visitor's Guide to Panem along.

So, we came out onto the busy night streets of the Capitol. Every person who stopped at the edge of the street looked like a performer. I was tempted to drop a coin in. No offence.

When we got some seats at a café, Annabeth asked the waiter, "Hey, um, do you know any people who are good at archery here at Panem?" The waiter beamed. "Well, probably loads, but I only know of one! She's The Girl on Fire!" "Meaning?" asked Annabeth apologetically. He chuckled. "My, my, you must be a tourist, my girl! The Girl on Fire, of course, is the one and only Katniss Everdeen!"

Excitement sparkled from Annabeth. "Where does she live?"

"Victor's Village, District Twelve."