Chapter seventeen : 1969 part one : The Replacement

Start from the beginning

And then there was John, who seemed far too engrossed in Yoko to involve himself with anything else. It bothered George a great deal. They were supposed to be a band of mates and he was feeling more and more disconnected from the others with each passing day. Yoko's presence was not helping, honestly. To George, she was the main cause of acrimony, things irreversibly looking down once she'd become part of the studio sessions. She was no shrinking violet either, and gave her opinion on things, often prompted by John, regardless of whether or not the others appreciated it.

George looked over at the two of them, sitting closely together and speaking in hushed tones, as if the rest of them didn't exist. It wasn't even about being jealous anymore. It was about John letting a woman come between him and the band, that was what bothered him. John looked up at that very moment, meeting George's glare and raising an unimpressed eyebrow at his mate, promptly ducking his head back to listen to what Yoko was saying.

He played with his shoelaces (they were too long, for some reason), nodding slowly and tilting his head to the side, completely absorbed in what she was teaching him, smiling from time to time, making a little joke just for the sake of hearing her chuckle softly. "Why don't you play it on the piano?" John proposed and she nodded, getting up and padding towards the imposing instrument, beginning to softly compose a melody. John sat close to her on the bench, his back to George, making him frown and slip the strap of his guitar off of his back, placing the instrument onto a nearby stand.

He mumbled something about excusing himself to have a cigarette but no one seemed to notice except Ringo. The usually good-natured drummer himself was beginning to feel the strains of trying to work with the others. He looked dead tired but managed something close to a playful look as he saluted George with his drumstick. George smiled half-heartedly in return, stepping out and pulling a pack of ciggies and a lighter from his coat pocket.

He wandered down a long hallway, slipping the fag before his lips and lighting it up. The further away from the others he walked, the more relaxed he felt, though the feeling stayed pretty superficial. It was a vast improvement over the negative energy he'd experienced in the studio, still.

John listened Yoko's playing, not paying attention to what George was saying, beginning to play with her after a while, slowly building a melody. "That was nice," he stated, his fingers lingering on the keys. He leaned back on the bench, humming. "I could go for a cup of tea." Yoko smiled and nodded, starting to play again.

"Could you bring me one?" John paused, looking at her hesitantly. "You're not coming with me?" Yoko shook her head. "I want to work on this some more." Her eyes softened. "I'll be here when you come back, John. I won't even move. It's only five minutes, okay?" John nodded cautiously, sighing a little as he got up. Paul wasn't around for the moment and Ringo looked far too busy nursing his hangover to be any problem to Yoko, either being mean to her or by trying to flirt with her, which John would have considered worse.

He slowly walked out of the room, resisting the jealous urge to glance over his shoulder and striding towards the kitchen. After a long smoke, George still hadn't felt ready to return to the studio. He decided to have a cuppa, buying himself a few more minutes of quiet, stopping in his tracks when he spotted John already making tea. John quickly filled a kettle with tap-water, determined to make this as quick as possible and unaware of George standing in the doorway, watching him.