terminal

part I ; the flight

lydia

I gripped the plastic handle of my carry-on as I maneuvered my way through the Los Angeles International Airport. My ticket in hand, I made my way to security, pausing at the back the long line. I sighed and yawned as the time was around four in the morning.

After almost ten minutes, I finally approached the front of security. "Miss. Can you please come up here?" A young woman called to me and I walked up handing her my passport and ticket. She smiled at me. "Okay, miss Martin, thank you, please have a safe flight." I nodded, surprised she didn't say anything about my name. My thoughts were all for not as she stopped me. "Are you, by any chance, related to Katherine Martin?"

Bam, there it was. My smile lessened, "Yes, M'am, she's my sister." I said annoyed. I paused for the silence and questions that almost always follow.

"Wow, that's incredible! I love her as Clary in The Mortal Instruments TV show! I read the books so I really love it, tell her she's doing a good job! At least better than the city of bones movie." I refrained myself from stabbing someone as I put on a smile and told her that I would.

"Wow, great! Uh, okay wow, have an amazing, yeesh, 14 hour flight." I nodded and stepped past her with my carry-on and purse. My sister was always the most loved one. Everyone loved her and didn't even step to the side to notice me in her shadow. And I'm the oldest! Well, technically only thirty minutes, but I am the older twin. And she must have gotten all of my mom's beauty because we're fraternal. The only thing we share is our red hair. Oh, Katherine is so pretty. Oh, Katherine gets all the guys' attention. Oh, Katherine is Prom Queen. Oh, Katherine was scouted to become your favorite book series' spinoff TV show's lead actress. Oh, Katherine this, Katherine that.

At least I'm smarter than she ever was, I say to myself. At least I got a full scholarship to Melbourne University and I'm going to become a world class surgeon. At least my secrets aren't splashed all over page six... But don't I want them to be? Doesn't everyone want to be famous?

I push the thoughts from my mind and chide myself. Kat has always been nice to me and I need to do the same. She was always there for me, so why am I so immensely jealous of her? Oh yeah, she took Jackson.

I shake the negative thoughts from my head as I take off my shoes and place them, my carry on, and my purse onto the security conveyor belt. The woman motions for me to walk through the metal detector and I go through without a beep or problem.

I grab my things and head for the crowded terminal.

"Excuse me, uh miss?" I shook awoke startled at the sound of human interaction. My eyes opened and widened as a woman in flight attendant clothing shook me awake. I looked around and saw no one but a few people throughout the terminal.

"-wh...what?" I suddenly became more aware and I shot up in my chair. My hair was plastered with sweat to my neck in little curls and my sweatpants were shifting around my waist.

The flight attendant looked sympathetic. "Miss, the plane to Melbourne has boarded, and sadly since you weren't in your seat, it's been occupied. There is, however, one more seat on the flight, and it will be a free change of seating arrangements."

I stood up at once, horrified. "When is the plane leaving?!" My mind was darting around.

"Oh, in about 20 minutes it will go to take off. You have time, Miss. But I do suggest you hurry. Would you like me to direct you to your new seat?" She smiled at me softly.

"Could you maybe just give me the seat number, please?" I pulled my purse up my shoulder and grabbed my carry on from the floor.

"Of course, Miss. Come this way please." She led me to a somewhat large receptionist table where she handed me a new ticket. "Have a nice flight." She went back to her work while I rushed through the connector thing onto the plane.