prologue

CHAPTER 0:
prologue

CHAPTER 0: prologue

( 1983 )

      THE YEAR WAS 1983 AND CLEO KIM HAD BEGUN HER FRESHMAN YEAR WITH HER ULTIMATE BEST FRIEND SINCE FIRST GRADE, EDDIE MUNSON

      THE YEAR WAS 1983 AND CLEO KIM HAD BEGUN HER FRESHMAN YEAR WITH HER ULTIMATE BEST FRIEND SINCE FIRST GRADE, EDDIE MUNSON. She had joined the Hawkins Marching band playing her dazzling flute after being in her middle school's band for three years and deciding to go her four years of high school doing the same thing. He had joined a group of average nerds who divulged in playing Dungeons and Dragons, his all-time favorite game that Cleo just so happened to dislike very much.

      Though being part of different categories of nerds, the two still prided themselves in being the best friend of the other and promising to never part while also throwing childish crushes in the equation for the both of them.

      Then the Hellfire club invited Eddie to sit with them during lunch, the only class the two had together. Munson had asked Cleo if she was alright with it and she, of course, said it was seeing as it would be a one-time thing so there was no problem with it. So Eddie sat with his new friends and left Cleo to sit by herself.

      Then a trumpet player invited Cleo to sit with her and the other freshmen in the marching band. Cleo asked Eddie if he was alright with it to which he said it was since he had done the same and it only seemed fair. So Cleo sat with her new friends and left Eddie to sit by himself.

This pattern continued throughout the school year. Eddie would get called to sit with the Hellfire Club and Cleo would sit alone. Cleo would get called by the band kids and Eddie would sit alone. It was almost like clockwork.

But they still promised to stay best friends, no matter who would call them away from the other.

Yet as the year went on, by the time the Snow Ball had come around, the duo had barely sat with each other at all.

Then one day they met at their designated lunch table that they would only sit at maybe once or twice a month and finally decided to make their seating arrangements permanent.

"Are we just going to sit with them permanently?" young Cleo asked.

Eddie shrugged. "Guess so."

A beat of silence passed by between them before Cleo held up her pinky in front of her friend. "Stay best friends?" she questioned.

He smiled nodding and locking his pinky with hers. "Stay best friends," he promised. And then they were off in opposite directions to sit with their nerdy little groups content that they would stay best friends forever.

Spoiler alert: they didn't.