Chapter one - Beyond The Night

Start from the beginning

Ronan maneuvered his way through the now not-so-crowded bar and stepped outside, the chill of the air, trying to wake his senses ever so briefly. He took a cab back to his apartment, his words slurred as he gave the driver the location.

He stared down at his phone and turned it on. He saw blurry text messages and missed calls show up which his drunk self could not read. He presumed it was his younger brother who worried about him. He always is and Ronan always ignored him. Finn had other people to care for.

The building came into view and Ronan paid the driver before sluggishly leaving the car. His heart was aching and his body was shaking. He had no control over what he was doing.

He somehow made it to the roof of the apartment building. All he knew was that the door of the elevator was in front of him, and was moving upwards, and he knew he would not survive the stairs. He was now feeling the effects of the whisky, his mind unfocused and his vision disoriented. He knew what he was doing and he knew it was wrong. He did not care. The dagger in his heart only gets worse the more he thinks about them.

Ronan was currently tearing from the edge. He was thirty-seven now and is completely done. He wants nothing more than to be done. To be with them. Thinking of living without them made him want to vomit. He would rather die a thousand times than continue to live alone. He was just incredibly tired of it all, people's exhausting nature of backstabbing and cruelty.

Ronan always did as his therapist asked, until he quit, realising none of what they were saying was helping.

"You should take a break, see your brother, take time."

Ronan didn't want to take a break and refused to be a burden to his brother. He would rather hide away in his apartment working on the case than go outside and spend time with the people he still has.

'The view from here is nice.'

Ronan thought, his arms stretched out, about to fall. The sun was starting to rise, and the sky was a mix of orange and blue, with streaks of yellow. The stars were no longer visible and clouds started to form. He closed his eyes, ready to let go when a soft voice drifted past his ears.

"Brother please,"

His eyes snapped open, and he shook his head. The bottle of emotions started to break and tears started to form. Why can't he just be alone?

"Ronan, please get down."

Finn was terrified of the scene happening in front of him, stepping closer, ever so slightly. He was too far away to grab him and with him being in this drunk state, who knows what he would do. Ronan could sense his brother getting closer.

"S-stay back!"

Finn held his hands up, showing he wasn't coming closer.

"Alright, alright."

Finn's thoughts were racing, trying to figure out a way to get him off the ledge.

"How did you find me?"

Finn just sighed and sadly looked up at his older brother.

" You were not answering me, I drove to your Apartment but there was no reply. After what nearly happened last time, I had guessed you'd be here"

Ronan felt his tears slowly roll down his cheeks. Finn should not be doing this, he was the elder brother, he needs to be the strong one, and he needs to be the one to make sure Finn is taken care of. Not the other way around. Ever since their parents died, Finn was only thirteen. Their father died when they were young in the army and their Mother became distant and fell ill years later.